what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

ingodslove Amy f;) ingodslove Amy f;)

what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

We are in food rut and I'm leaning more and more these days to zero-waste and simple.  Would you share a list of an average week's dinners?

Re: what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

Amy,
Bea posted her family's typical weekly menu here in one of her most inspired and useful posts:
http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/2011/02/meal-planning.html

Lately, (during the summer) I have been making fruit and vegetable smoothies for two meals a day, and carbs (pasta or rice) for a portable lunch. I'm sure that'll change eventually, but it's working for now...

Re: what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

Agree with Wrennard, that post was probably one of the best and most useful!

First off, we're carnivores, so that influences our choices:
We do our No Waste Chicken every three/four weeks, which covers at least three nights, i.e., Roasted chicken, Chicken soup, Quiche/Frittata using L/O roasted veggies.
I also try to incorporate a slow cooker meal, a pressure cooked meal, a stir fry, a casserole, an egg based dish, a hearty soup, and a pasta based meal at least every two weeks or so. Veggies with/in everything.
I find that creating combos works great: rice as your starch one night, then fried rice a few nights later (great dish to use up leftovers!), a simple, meat based meal followed later by a casserole or a different stir fry using the leftovers, baked potatoes end up as home fries or potato salad; if we use cream for something, I'll also make some sour cream/creme fraiche .... It all comes from planning ahead, which we do on an eight day cycle. We only buy what is needed, very little gets wasted, minimal use of the freezer and we've plenty of variety. For a while I tried to use a new recipe every couple of weeks, too, but kinda over that for the moment.
Since dinners tend to be "heavier", we tend to have salads, leftovers for lunch, and breakfast might be anything, if anything.
HTH!
ingodslove Amy f;) ingodslove Amy f;)

Re: what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

thank-you!  I looked and looked for that..it was hovering in my memory but I couldnt find it usign search...too sleep-deprived I guess.

and I have stacks and piles of recipes that are HANGING over me that I will ceremonisously recycle this weekend:)  per that post:)
ingodslove Amy f;) ingodslove Amy f;)

Re: what does a week's worth of dinners look like at your house?

Thanks!  We have many meatless meals, but I my family of all-guys really loves meat sometimes:)  I do the chicken thing.  We have CSA so the veggies are always a surprise...

I think I could try to make larger dinners so that the leftovers could be lunch the next day...hmmn...

Big chart of menu options

Glad you brought this up again, Amy -- it's been percolating in the back of my mind off and on for a while, so I finally did something about it.

In the interest of shortening my shopping list each week, and inspired by Bea's original menu and Tamar Adler (An Everlasting Meal, "Great meals rarely start at points that all look like beginnings. They usually pick up where something else leaves off."), I took several of Michael Ruhlman's cooking methods from Twenty and Mark Bittman's "Roasted Anything," along with my endless admiration for the chart on the cover of Ruhlman's Ratio, and I created a menu that allows you to purchase one starch and one meat a week and still eat something different each weeknight for a month or more. This chart generally assumes that you have a large roast or chicken from which to use leftover or shredded meat with each recipe (or cooked beans or lentils), and assorted veggies to accompany. It reflects some of my preferred dishes and my dislike for precise "recipes", so it isn't an exhaustive list of possibilities, but I think you'll get the idea and be able to substitute your own favorites while still achieving the goal of turning one night's leftovers into the next night's (or nights') meal(s).

I have a mantra for the ZW kitchen -- "Boiled, fried, roasted, baked, soup!" -- and I hereby present you with a Big Chart to make it practical. Hope it's useful...