what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

Debbie Debbie

what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I noticed that Bea's family uses the stainless water containers but how do they keep them straight meaning are they marked with each person's name?

My kids seem to use 2-3 clean glasses a day.

I need a solution that is good for the environment and also fills my need for things looking good in my kitchen.

Meaning I don't want a different color for each kid---how can I make this simpler?

Thank for any suggestions!
Laura Laura

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I went to the thrift store and purchased a different glass for each child.  They know which is theirs and keep it in the fridge with water in it.  I wash them as needed.

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

You could engrave each person's name on the same type of glass/mug/water container.

L.L. Bean offers stainless steel containers, called "Bean Canteens", that can be engraved with a name or initials on it. I like the design of the insulated one.

In my household, each person has a coffee mug with a monogram of their first initial on it. The ones I have are from Anthropologie, but I have seen several stores offer initialed glassware. I like the fact that the lettering on these cups are large and easily seen. And, since they are all printed in the same font on the same type of cup, they still look neat and organized on the kitchen shelf.

Hope this is helpful!

Cassie Cassie

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

If you are using glass or plastic cups you could buy a washable marker and write their names or initials on the side in the morning. Then throughout the day they would know what glass is theirs. Then you wouldn't have to worry about buying extra kidde cups or the cost of engraving. Hope this helps.

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I had also tried out the marker idea before switching to monogrammed mugs. The problem I had with the marker was that every time you held the cup with wet hands, the ink went all over your hands (and inevitably onto our white cloth napkins, my new white shirt, etc.). I also had a hard time getting my family to remember to write their names on the cup whenever they used a clean one.
Flour Girl Flour Girl

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

We have different glasses for each child. If it has milk in it, it just goes back in the fridge until next time they want it.  They use the same glass all day and so do I.

The trick is when we have company.  I try to give assorted glasses to the kids and tell them to remember which glass they have.  For matching glasses for grown-ups, I put a rubber band or ponytail holder around the glass if I have close family or friends that are here for the day (I wouldn't do that for someone I don't know well but then they wouldn't be spending the day at my house either).  When we have big parties and have to use plastic cups, I put their names on them if they don't get the hint with the Sharpie sitting there.  Otherwise, they take a new cup when they've lost track of their old one.  I don't like using plastic but with 40 people coming to our next party, I'm not sure I can get away from it.  I could make cute little tags to put on the ponytail holders but I don't have that many glasses in the house anyway.  Any ideas for that one?
Karin Karin

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

For a party we recently hosted, we borrowed everything we needed (if we didn't already own it).

For everyday use, we have a set of glassware that came with two sizes. DH uses the large size (22 oz) and I use the medium size (14 oz). DD uses a set of thick glass "highballs" from way back (9-10 oz?). These are particularly awesome for youngsters. They stack/nest well and are quite sturdy. When we have guests, they can choose from what we own. Keeping the glasses on the respective placemats throughout the day seems to help in my house, especially with kids. They like having a special spot!
AMY AMY

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

It doesn't come up too much in my small 3 person family.  (I use the same water glass for days and just leave it at my place at the kitchen table so I know it is mine!)  For when we have guests staying with us, my sister-in-law gave me the idea of using different colored rubberbands (which I have lots of, of course, because I don't throw them out!) around each glass so we remember whose is whose.  At a weekend family reunion last winter, there were too many of us for that.  But my sister came up with a solution.  She had her knitting stuff with her, and she knit enough (12), shall I call them glass-bracelets in various colors, color combinations, and widths, so that we could each tell our glasses apart.
Jenny Jenny

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

OK- so this might seem a bit extreme, but w/ 6 kids I am seriosly thinking of this option:
http://www.amazon.com/Muellar-120-007-FPT-Water-Bubbler/dp/B00002N91F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306210093&sr=8-4

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

Jenny, where would you put it? Waayyy back when I was a kid we had something similar out in our backyard. Sure got a lot of use!

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I like the idea, Jenny!

I also wonder where you would put it... ;)
Jenny Jenny

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I'm not sure!!!  LOL
I could have my husband mount it next to the kitchen sink (to the side) but I think it would feel in the way of all the business there.  It would make more sense to put it to the side of the bathroom sink- but the convenient bathroom has a pedastal sink and the other is the master bath sink way on the other side of the house... and unlitmately we are trying to sell our house and I don't think this would be a good selling point.

I think in pondering this I would put one outside temporarily for the summer and if we are still here come fall I can reassess.
For a couple hundred dollars you can purchase a full drinking fountain that mounts to the wall so you can put it wherever- and once we get into a more permanent residence that might be the way to go.   ...but the $$!

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I have definitely never seen a water fountain in anyone's house, but it makes a lot of sense!

I didn't think I had the problem that is the topic of this forum since I live alone, but after I forced myself to drink out of one and only one mug all day long, I was impressed with how empty the sink was. I typically dirty at least 3 glasses/cups a day, which is pretty silly because I know the "germs" have to be mine!
Janet Janet

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

In our family of 3 we each use a "bier deckel" (German for beer lid - the thick paper coasters you get at bars, restaurants). We use the coasters as lids and write our name on our coaster. Our water glasses stay in one spot, and are used for several days. We also use this technique when setting the table when we have guests over (who's sitting where).  Not sure how aesthetically pleasing it looks, but works perfect for us since we have a large collection of bier deckels.  Fun tip - we also write in nicknames or fun things on each others' coasters. (The coasters last a long time too, unless they get excessively wet, dirty, etc.).
Megan Megan

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

We put labels on the counter.  (In an area where we were already putting our glasses.)
Jenny- I've seen some people install one outside, so that in the summertime, it's easy for the kids and their friends to get a drink.
Dawnie Dawnie

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

I know this won't be very ZW or even eco friendly I'm sure, but we have the same problem with glasses.
I was considering a wax or grease pencil to write the kids names on the outside of the glass, it won't wash off when the glass sweats but will come off with a good scrub....  thoughts???

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

That's a good idea, Dawnie! I use a Crayola washable crayon to write the bulk numbers on my shopping containers at the store; this would be a good use for them at home as well, for those who don't want to discard their matching glasses in favor of multicolored ones...

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

Look what a friend on facebook just posted:

http://dreamfarm.com.au/products/tapi/video/

And, there are a ton of stores in the Bay Area that carry it, for those who live there. The closest store to me is on Sunset Blvd in Los Angeles. :(  However, there are stores all over the place. Check the store link on the site.

I clicked on the 'trees' link on the site and really liked what I read. I want to support this company! They have voluntarily reduced packaging to the minimum AND they are planting trees for every product they sell.

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

This made me laugh very hard.

I hope Jenny sees this before she buys the other water fountain!
Cynthia Cynthia

Re: what do you suggest for the problem of family members dirtying several glasses a day?

We used to have this problem. My mom would get after us because at the end of the day, every single cup in the house was in the sink. She sold most of them off. She kept enough in case she has some company but they're stored on the highest shelf. We really only have 2 glasses that we're allowed to use.

A lot of you might find this gross, but my family (5 of us), uses the same glass. Like, we drink from the same glass and we use that glass all day. We keep it on the kitchen counter. If you're thirsty you grab the glass and drink. Put it back so someone else can use it. We're family. What's a few cooties here and there. Helps build up our immune systems.

We rarely get sick, but if one of us does get sick, then they use a separate glass and they must place it in a different location so we don't mix up the glasses.