tainting the recycle bin

kristiannie kristiannie

tainting the recycle bin

Here in the Seattle area we are blessed to have had free recycle pick up for some years now.  I have always been very careful about what I put in my recycle bins, but I notice that many others are not.  Like my daughter and my grandchildren who argue with me about this and seem to think that anything thrown into the bin that is not recyclable will somehow miraculously be culled out in the recycle process.  I say that even one non triangle marked plastic lid can taint the entire bin and turn it into trash insted.  Can someone settle this argument for us?

Re: tainting the recycle bin

This is a question for your waste management service in Seattle!  I live on the opposite side of the state, which you probably know is nowhere near as good about recycling as the west side, but
 We have recycling services through waste management.  All of our recycling goes in one bin, and it is sorted by crude mechanical means to separate metal with magnets and paper, plastic, and glass by density.  The paper is sent to the local paper mill where it is made into news print.  A friend of mine works at the paper mill, and he says that the sorting process is very inefficient, and that they find all kinds of cans and bottles in with the paper.  Once, they found a boat motor!  The paper still gets recycled, but the other objects get trashed because waste management won't come pick them up and take them back to be recycled :(. Stupid!

So anyway, my suggestion is to find out what happens to everything in Seattle.  Call and ask, take a tour of facilities, etc.