shopping for meat with my own containers

123

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Like the ss containers listed there, and was informed by email from the company that the silicone gaskets "will be" replaceable. --Means the containers could last a really long time. Great alternative to glass for the freezer; there's even one *probably* big enough for a chicken/roast! Not cheap, though.
Great website. Thanks.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Update (again) and slightly OT:
This is actually the first time had to get ALL the meat products we will need for the week, since I've finally started hitting the bottom of the freezer. I was dreading it.
I decided to bite the bullet and go into the butcher shop next to where I typically shop for produce and some bulk, and walked in with a collection of containers -some glass, some old plastic that's sitting around (?Cheating?). It was really great! First they carry Niman Ranch meat, Rocky chickens, etc., and second, since small and local they totally embraced the container idea. Definitely MUCH more expensive than supermarket, but the quality is tremendous, so, for now, am rationalizing :-) Walked out with five containers filled, and didn't feel like i'd been to the battlefront!
Happy Dance, since between these two markets, and the Cheese Shop (now carrying capers, pickles, olives), I shouldn't need to routinely go anywhere else. The only missing thing might be some salad toppings*, sushi, condiments, misc. bulk, that I might occasionally (monthly?) go to WF for.
Yay! Happy Dance!
*insane that their salad bar toppings are cheaper per pound, than packaged! Of course, none or homemade cheapest.

Hope others have similar success. Makes it all much easier, got to admit. Probably cheaper, too.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Sounds like you are figuring this all out rather nicely for yourself, Jay!

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Finding a place that sells Niman Ranch meat at the counter--lucky you, Jay!

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

:-))
and Yep; Niman Ranch puts the whole cost issue in perspective.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

--Just an added blurb that most have probably figured out: To avoid having to clean sticker gunk off my containers, this week I just had them put all the [meat counter] price stickers on a to-be-recycled envelope. Some day, maybe I won't have enough to use, but for now...
Gwyn Gwyn

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

We need more of these types of stores!  Check it out!

http://www.indiegogo.com/ingredients

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

I've tried a couple of different approaches, and what I found to be most effective in dealing with Whole Foods was contacting my local store's manager via email and asking him to outline the store's "bring you own container" policy. I received a reply within a day and noticed soon afterward that the employees had also been reminded to allow customers to use their own containers. The counter service employees also looked like they had been trained recently on how to tare the scale and put the price sticker directly on the jars. Needless to say, this has made zero waste shopping at WF so much easier. I keep a copy of the manager's email on me, in case I should ever encounter someone questioning the jars. Now I just have to remember to bring enough jars with me each time I shop.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

That's awesome, Sandra!

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Thanks, Karin:) Hope this info is helpful to others who shop at WF. I have to admit that, even though I've been doing it for awhile, shopping with the jars can still be an intimidating experience. I always prepare to have to "explain" things or negotiate ("but they let me use the jars last time..."). Glad that WF is making zero waste shopping easier. My local store even started to display cloth bags in the dry bulk foods section and mesh produce bags near the fruits and veggies. All this in a town where it's still common to see people ask the cashiers to double paper bag their groceries:(

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Well, I finally needed to purchase a volume of meat that wouldn't fit into anything I had at home. Not a perfect solution since the lid is acylic, but I ended up getting an Oggi Jumbo SS canister. The latches/gasket are a bit flimsy, but the size and weight, airtightness, work for me. Volume-wise holds 'bout a gallon. At my (!) meat market they were able to stuff one and a half fryers, cut up, into it.
Got it at Bed,Bath & Beyond.
I figure the latch should be ok with the kind of use it'll get. We'll see.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Sandra, did you ever get one of the Chantal casserole dishes? They do look really handy.
Like the idea of having a casserole, with an airtight lid, that's usable in the oven/fridge/freezer/microwave.

So, any luck or additional thoughts?

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Hi, Jay. I ended up getting a Le Creuset covered casserole dish, mainly b/c it matched the rest of my cookware. I really liked the locking lids on the Chantal dishes, but I had a hard time finding one that was large enough for my needs (large enough for lasagna & could double as a roasting pan). I wish the Le Creuset dish had a locking lid. That's one advantage the Chantal has over the Le Creuset.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Ohhh! Le Creuset! What great cookware! Made the "mistake" of going to a Le Creuset Outlet Store before Christmas. Didn't see the casserole dish you must have gotten (just checked out a pix), but their selection was pretty awesome.

I would bet with the weight of the lid it's pretty solid even without a silicone seal. Nice. Bet you've enjoyed using it. Good point about size of the Chantal.
Seattlegirl Seattlegirl

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

So, I too have tried to purchase goods w/o packaging. I have had nothing but trouble, even at my local farmers market. I tried to buy some fresh pasta and have the seller put it in my own container and they keep their container and he sell it w/o the packaging. I can't get meat, fish, deli meat, cheese or even butter put in my own container either at a co-op or farmers market. I am at a loss as to what to do. This seems crazy!!
If anyone in the Seattle area has any ideas please let me know
Seattlegirl Seattlegirl

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

sorry, was trying to say that the pasta guy wouldn't sell his pasta to me.
nikkinnora nikkinnora

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

I bought Bormioli Rocco glass nesting containers at my Co-Op for less than $30. The large one can hold a four pound pork shoulder easily and the smaller ones are used for one or two pound blocks of cheese or sandwich meat. The drawback is that It has a polypropylene lid, but it should last a while. The lids hold up in the bottom rack of the dishwasher nicely without warping. The lids aren't super tight fitting but are ton better than the Pyrex travel set I got as a wedding gift.

http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-388480SB4021990-Frigoverre-Food-Storage/dp/B000KNWK14/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_c
Amanda Amanda

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

I bought deli meat with my own containers at Farm Fresh for the first time two weeks ago. I brought in plastic trays and lids that I had reused from Chinese takeout (hey, plastic isn't zero-waste, but still reusing a container rather than throwing it away is better). The girl at the deli counter didn't even give me a weird look, just got the ok from the manager and put my meat in my containers and then stuck the sticker to the lid. When I checked out the cashier even commented that it was a great idea. I will keep doing this until my containers start to wear out and I can find some used glass jars. I haven't yet tried this at the seafood counter yet, but I'm sure they'll let me use my containers there as well! Gotta take small victories where you can.

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Another covered casserole dish suggestion: the Revol "Cook and Play" porcelain dishes. The cover doubles as a trivet.
Krystal Krystal

Re: shopping for meat with my own containers

Hey Seattlegirl!

I'm in Seattle too! I have posted in other threads in this forum called Shopping (incl. Bulk Food Locations), but wanted to let you know about my luck. Rain Shadow Meats (Melrose Market) on Capitol Hill has been awesome! The Swinery in West Seattle also takes my jars, as does the Seattle Fish Company in West Seattle. Also, The Calf & Kid in Melrose Market has no problem with jars for cheese.

Do you happen to have an open butcher counter at the PCC near your place? The West Seattle one is one of the smallest, and they don't have a open butcher counter, but I have a feeling they would be very responsive. Whole Foods at South Lake Union gives me a headache everytime and sites some corporate policy as to why they cannot accept my jars, so I stopped shopping there (plus, PCC has much higher food standards!)

I know that I tend to shop on the high-end with food, so I am not sure if these stores hold interest for you--I know everyone has a different grocery budget!
123