replacement for trash bags

Just returned from Ikea, where I was thrilled to find a heavy duty, rinseable replacement for kitchen trash bags, that fit perfectly down in my 13 gallon trash and recycling receptacles. Now, I know we are are working on reducing trash, but part of reducing trash is not buying one-time use items that are destined for the trash. These puppies look like they might last forever, or at least until I have achieved ZW. Either way, I don't plan to need to buy trash bags ever again. (And, for those who argue that I should just carry the trash can outside, I will explain that my trash cans are in a pull out drawer in the kitchen, and it is very awkward to remove the cans from the drawer -- I really need a bag I can easily pull out, carry outside, dump, rinse with the hose if necessary, and carry back inside, that will hold its shape nicely.) There are three in a package, so I kept two and gave the other to my mom, who needed a recycling bin.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40180136

If the link doesn't work, try searching the site for "Dimpa."
Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: replacement for trash bags

That's one step I don't think I will be able to do, at least not until Boston has someplace to drop off compostables or I spend the money for an indoor composting machine.  I don't use a liner on our recyclables, but most of my trash trash is food scraps, and with the raccoons around here, the trash definitely needs to be bagged (they've even occasionally gnawed through our plastic garbage can lids).  I would worry with raw meat scraps and salmonella and things in washing a reusable trash liner.

I really need to compost!

Re: replacement for trash bags

Wrennerd, how are the replacements working out?

And Marrena, raccoons really are quite diligent, aren't they!  Years ago a "gang" tried to drag our dog food container off our deck after we bungy corded it. We found it on the stairs, still closed, the next morning! We once even pepper sprayed a marauder on our front porch, but it just stared at us. Sheesh. A bit scary for our pets since they can be rabid.

Re: replacement for trash bags

I'm quite happy with them, and it makes me more careful about what (goopy or liquid) items I put in the trash.

I think, overall, I'm down to filling only half the kitchen trash can per week; maybe less. That's down from 1 or 2 a week previously. Of course, that's only for one person, so I have a way to go...

Re: replacement for trash bags

Every step counts! :)

Re: replacement for trash bags

That's great!