potty training/elimination communication

ecogeek ecogeek

potty training/elimination communication

After reading the ZW book, I learned about elimination communication. I am willing to try it here soon, our son in about 3 months old. Any one try this and have suggestions and/or concerns about this method before I start? Also, I am having a hard time finding a potty chair that is made of ceramic/glass. I guess I would settle for a BPA free plastic chair if I had too, but would rather not. Anyone find a particular chair they like for your baby? Everything I keep reading about says to use the sink, but personally I do not want our baby using the bathroom in any of our sinks in our home.
Any help here would be great!
Thanks!

Re: potty training/elimination communication

I wouldn't use the sink either-- at 3 months it might be ok, but once the baby starts on table food you would run the risk of clogging the pipes.  Bathroom sinks aren't plumbed for solid waste.

We are starting this with our son (1 year old).  It is impossible to tell when he is going to urinate, And he does so in his sleep so we cloth diaper-- but when he's ready for a bowl movement he gets serious looking, stops what he's doing and exhales in a particular manner.  When he does this, we put him on the potty chair! exhale the same way, and praise him wildly for going I the potty. Clean up isn't much easier than changing a cloth diaper: solids are dumped into the toilet and flushed, and the bowl is rinsed with a little baking soda water.  Honestly, i think it uses more water than laundering the cloth diapers. The laundry room smells a little better with no poopy diapers ( just wet ones) and it gives us a great jump start on potty training, but it's not really any less waste than cloth diapers.

We just use a plastic chair.  Not ideal, but it works, and can be sterilized and given away to friends and relatives when we are done with it. As for BPA, the amount transferred by contact with skin at room/ body temperature is negligible.I would be equally concerned about impurities in a metal, ceramic, or glass potty chair ( not particularly concerned for any of the above, though I think all carry equal risk). The big culprits for bpa are cash register paper,  food being heated or stored long-term in bpa containing plastics, and lotions or other cosmetics being absorbed through the skin that are stored in plastics.

Re: potty training/elimination communication

How is ec going for you, by the way?
ecogeek ecogeek

Re: potty training/elimination communication

EC is going well actually! I ended up buying a potty seat that sits right on the toilet so we won't have to make that adjustment later. My son in now six months and pees every day on the toilet right after his naps. He is then rewarded with about 30-40 minutes of naked time. He also has recently started doing his bowel movements on the toilet.(Total he sits on the toilet three times each day.) I will agree it is more water than just adding an extra diaper to the laundry, but I am enjoying the easy clean up post and the lack of smell in our diaper changing areas. I am hoping once my son is completely comfortable with this stage we will continue to keep adding on to his learning. My favorite part about all of this is how proud he is of himself and his big smile after each sitting.
Silvia Silvia

Re: potty training/elimination communication

EC is fantastic!  I used the method for my now 21 month old son.  He wears underwear 24/7 now!!  I started putting him on the potty (& letting him go in the grass or sink) at 3 months old, and since he was in cloth diapers it was more comfortable for him to be free.  If you think of human history, diapers were not used much past infancy!  Even today certain cultures around the world don't use diapers at all!  That knowledge gave me the confidence to go for it.  And I'm SOOOO happy we did it!

I have the Baby Bjorn potty insert for the toilet and a little potty in the car.  He loves both, but really he can pee anywhere comfortably.  ; )  After he's grown out of it I plan to give it to friends.  These items stay in great condition for multiple kids.

I'm not worried about the plastic. The idea that his pee and poop gets flushed down the toilet makes it ZW approved.  We use toilet paper and that's it!  He's basically fully learned to use toilet since 16 months.  My son doesn't think much about it b/c going potty is just "normal" to him.  He couldn't imagine NOT peeing/pooping in toilet (or the grass!).

Re: potty training/elimination communication

Just an update on my son--

He took to the potty gradually.  We started putting him on the potty once or twice a day at 12 months.  When he would go, we would celebrate.  He would always go while the bathtub was filling, so we were always sure to put him on the potty then.

We would reward him for going in the potty with 20 minutes of naked time.  This was a huge incentive, lol!  It also led to a couple accidents in the house.  When he would have an accident I would say, "Uh oh!  You had an accident.  Accidents happen, but next time, you need to go on the potty."  Then I would put him on the potty until he went. This probably happened a dozen times or so, but then he got it!  by 16 months he was potty trained (as long as he wasn't wearing pants or we helped him to pull his pants down).  at 21 months we moved to loose elastic sweatpants.   He had to have a few accidents in these before he got the  hang of it!  By 24 months he was completely potty trained.

While early use of the toilet didn't result in extremely early potty training, it did cut our diaper use drastically.