milk in glass bottles- always unpasteurized??

Divalk75 Divalk75

milk in glass bottles- always unpasteurized??

I've recently found milk sold in glass bottles that I can return to the store for a refund- yay!  The milk is from a local dairy that is hormone free and whatnot.  However, their milk is not pasteurized.  I'm familiar with both sides of the argument- pasteurization removes bacteria but also removes certain nutrients.  I'm wondering, is anyone else running into this and is this just the nature of doing business with local farms??  Has anyone gotten sick?
Elizabeth Elizabeth

Re: milk in glass bottles- always unpasteurized??

The milk I get in glass bottles (I've seen two separate companies) is pasteurized.
Starla Starla

Re: milk in glass bottles- always unpasteurized??

We bought into a herdsharing agreement with a dairy about 40 miles away 2 years ago. All of the milk we drink is raw, and I have also used it to make raw yogurt, raw cream cheese and raw whey. For those last 2, you leave a jar of raw milk on the counter (at room temperature) for 2 (two!) days, and it sours and seperates and then you have whey and tangy cream cheese. We have never gotten sick, and I know many other families that drink the same milk that have not reported any problems. Just check with your dairy--are they clean? Inspected montly? Ours is small and owned by a family, plus they are federally inspected once a month and always receive a glowing review. Another plus from getting it directly from the dairy--it is very, very fresh and always kept very cold, so it is not unusual for my jars of milk to last for 2+ weeks before they start to sour.
Erin Erin

Re: milk in glass bottles- always unpasteurized??

Hi Divalk,

We've always been raw milk drinkers - while pregnant, under a year old, and my 70 year old mom drinks it too - nobody has ever gotten sick. I've also always had a relationship with all of our farmers; I visit the farms frequently and I trust them. I see their robust, healthy children running around and the animals always look healthy and well-cared for.

My farmer uses glass gallon jars that he takes from local delis! He just washed them in between uses and keeps refilling them - best ZW method I've seen yet! Also, I buy 8-10 gallons of milk at a time and even if the last jar doesn't get opened for 2 weeks, it still tastes as fresh as the first jar. I really think the glass keeps the milk fresher longer. Plastic seems to really leave a plastic-y taste and the milk never seems to keep for more than 5 days (often less) in plastic.

If you're still concerned, you could always buy raw milk and take it home and pasteurize it yourself.