links

12
aprillizzybeth aprillizzybeth

links

Hello all!  I thought it would nice to add a new forum thread- specifically for links to some of the websites you have found useful for learning, purchasing, etc.  I'll start!
http://www.greenboatstuff.com/
I found this, because the hemp filter I bought from Amazon (in Bea's store), came from this seller.  There are some useful items on here.  Though not all are zero waste, as this is not the purpose of the store, there are still some items on here that are helpful for living a ZW lifestyle!

Re: links

Reusable fabric gift bags:
http://www.g3givebag.com/

Re: links

http://www.charliesoap.com/index.asp?cartID=81E99B6105774AF1A7AEF98F8F6C5603

Not Zero Waste but a small jar (4.5" D, 5.5" H) of Charlie's Soap lasts a long time. One tablespoon per load, 2.64# = 80 loads. No softeners needed (so the reviews say). Emailed and asked if still sold in bags, but "The bags were replaced by the jars about 7 months ago due to the cost to manufacture them doubling.  The jars are made with 100% post-consumer plastic and are reusable and recyclable." Crazy world!
It is a "soap" though, so if you've used detergents there is a transition period. 'Course if you're like Bea, wouldn't take long to cycle through all your clothes a few times! :-)))
The Con-- plastic, ??cost; Pros-- you wouldn't have to buy all the ingredients and do the brewing/mixing of making your own, nontoxic, etc, etc, smaller container than store bought laundry detergents.
silkyhorse silkyhorse

Re: links

I am loving this blog:

http://myplasticfreelife.com/

If you look through her topics on the side, she has ideas for just about everything!

Re: links

Just watched this great video from "Fake Plastic Fish" aka "My Plastic Free Life":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myr_KHDs_3g

Recycling Plastic Bottle Caps

Just found out I can take those hard plastic bottle caps, like those on medicine bottles, milk, shampoos, sodas, etc. to an Aveda store. See this http://www.aveda.com/aboutaveda/caps.tmpl
I called a nearby Aveda shop and they DO accept them! If none near you, there's a contact email addie on the website.
So, if you're still on making the conversion from plastics, etc. Check it out! Way better than a landfill or bird's tummy.

Re: links

Thanks for the link on Charlie's Soap. Do you happen to know what the ingredients list is? I looked at the link and couldn't find it on the site. Let us know how this product works out. I'm battling with extremely hard water and looking for a powder detergent or soap that can cut through the "scum." Thanks for your help!

Re: links

I found this on their (!) facebook page: "Charlie’s Soap contains only pure washing soda, sodium silicates and a blend of coconut oil surfactants." Label says pretty much the same thing: "all natural" instead of "pure", and "... coconut oil based detergents", only diff in wording.
On their website FAQ page ( http://www.charliesoap.com/faq.asp ), hard water is addressed. They don't make any great claims about being able to deal with the hardness and seem to imply there could be "issues". There's a PDF (http://www.charliesoap.com/pdf/hardwater.pdf ) which includes some how-to's.
For fun, someone put together ingredient lists for several different detergents: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchart.htm

Re: links

TMI: Re Charlie's- read late last night that some have complained of their BABIES getting really bad rashes, prob.
 'cuz of a coconut allergy.
Can't win.
Nellie's looks cool, comes in a *tin*.

Re: links

Coconut oil allergy...oh, no!

Thanks for the info, Jay. I've been hearing a lot of good reviews for Charlie's Soap and was curious to learn more about it.

Re: Recycling Plastic Bottle Caps

Just make sure the bottle caps you intend to recycle through the Aveda program are labeled with a #5. I emailed Aveda to see if I could recycle milk bottle caps with a #4 and they said those caps would not be accepted.

Re: links - Pick Your Own

http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm#states

Source of locations, all states, for picking your own fruits, veggies,etc. also includes a few international spots. Website has decent instructions for canning, and other info.

Re: links

Re: links

Well, hope others will post links they found useful or fun!

Here's one for some of your used envelopes. Just open on the short side, put some fancy artwork (homemade paper?) over addie, etc, and follow these super easy instructions, subing a dab of glue for the dbl-sided tape:
http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2009/03/gift-bags-made-from-envelopes.html

Re: links

Thanks for this link, silkyhorse! I just started reading this blog and you're right. It's a great site for non-plastic options to just about every household question I had.

Re: Recycling Plastic Bottle Caps

Follow-up: Just got this blurb as part of a newsletter:
"A New Life for Laundry Caps:
From our ingredients to our packaging, Seventh Generation is always coming up with new ways to reduce our environmental impact. Our latest effort? A partnership with Preserve's "Gimme 5" program, allowing customers to recycle #5 plastic where they shop. Consumers can now recycle their #5 plastic in the "Gimme 5" recycling bins that Seventh Generation is sponsoring in Whole Foods Market and other natural food stores across the country."

7th Generation's new Fiber [PAPER!] Bottle for liquid laundry detergent

"Seventh Generation Debuts Natural 4X Laundry Detergent in Fiber Bottle", see video here: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/video/seventh-generation-debuts-natural-4x-laundry-detergent-fiber-bottle

Re: 7th Generation's new Fiber [PAPER!] Bottle for liquid laundry detergent

I read about this hybrid bottle, too, but have not seen it in stores yet. The outer shell is made of 100% recycled cardboard, the bag inside is made of #4 plastic, and the cap is made of #5 (guess that's why they joined Preserve's Gimme Five program).

Re: 7th Generation's new Fiber [PAPER!] Bottle for liquid laundry detergent

"the bag inside is made of #4 plastic," Well, that s****s. Figured the cap was still an issue. So much for innovation.

Re: 7th Generation's new Fiber [PAPER!] Bottle for liquid laundry detergent

At a local mkt now: $13+/ 66 loads / ~66% less plastic. huh.
12