how to make baking powder?

ita ita

how to make baking powder?

Hi, I hope you can help me... Some time ago I came across a recipe on how to make baking powder out of baking soda. I don't really remember what went in but they used the oven at the end. Or do you have any other way how to make baking powder without Cream of tartar? I have no idea what it is and I therefore I am not sure if I can find it in my country :-)

Thanks a lot! :-)
Reed Reed

Re: how to make baking powder?

Hi Ita,
There are 3 different things that sound very similar.
    1. Baking Soda- used in baking
    2. Baking Powder-used in baking
    3. Washing soda- for cleaning, not for food use.  I think this is the one that can be made in an oven, but I      don’t know the specifics.

I googled, “What is the difference between baking soda and baking powder?” and thought this site gave a pretty good answer: https://news.ncsu.edu/2014/05/baking-soda-powder/

It sounds like, basically, baking powder is designed to make the baked goods slightly fluffier than baking soda because it doesn’t start its reaction until it’s wet AND hot.
But I make muffins with just baking soda all the time and they seem fluffy enough for us.  I wonder how much of a difference it might really make?

Back to your question though, is this the post you were thinking of?
“Ok, so everyone except me may be doing this already:  1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar = 1 tsp baking powder. Don't mix ahead. “ Quoted from Jay, in the Kitchen forum, 3/6/12, http://www.zerowastehome.com/forum/

Hope that helps, and happy baking :)
Edward Charette Edward Charette

Re: how to make baking powder?

Very simple. Half teaspoon cream tartar and same amount bicarbonate soda.