compost trash can

T T

compost trash can

The zero waste family uses a trash can for their compost.  Does anyone know exactly how to start this process?  I mean like a "composting for Dummies" kind of thing. I want step-by-step exactly what to do.  I've read about so many different ways and barrels and bins, and turning and heating etc. etc.  Any help?
Thanks.
Scott Scott

Re: compost trash can

Great idea on having a "Composting for Dummies" - you can also look at one of Bea's previous blogs (and the related comments) on the topic of composting: http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/2011/01/zero-waste-essential-composting_23.html
Bunny Bunny

Re: compost trash can

I'd agree.  I was thinking about turning our trash can into our compost can until I looked into it.  Now there are compost teas and trays and certain receptacles for fruit and veggies and meat.  TMI!!  haha

I would rather find a simple way to start than to get overwhelmed.  And going out to buy anything is not something I can really do.  When I was a kid grandma had a pit... things have come a ways.

So, where do people start?
Tonya Tonya

Re: compost trash can

I live in an upper apartment with a deck.  I had been wanting to get my own compost bin, but didn't really want to put out the money.  They are not cheap.  I did, however, keep a bowl in the kitchen to 'catch' anything that was able to go in the county supplied compost bin.  But then while hitting the garage sale-ing I found a never used stackable compost bin (just like the ones at the county fair for over $100) being sold for only $2!  I couldn't believe it.  I was so excited.
So....long story short - watch garage sales.  You would be surprised what you find.
Scott Scott

Re: compost trash can

We started initially in our garden - I made a 3 ft x 3 ft square with some old reused deer wire and a couple stakes on one side and our fence on the other side.  At first I added just yard waste (leaves and small branches) - but then eventually started to add some kitchen scraps (raw veggie peelings, cores, etc. - no cooked veggies or items that could attract rodents).  Pretty basic, basically free and easy - and we learned along the way (don't throw in pulled weeds, etc.).  Now we have some nice soil.  Alas, we have city compost now - so we can collect and throw all our food scraps in...
Slushy Slushy

Re: compost trash can

Here is a link with some info on making your own worm compost. I plan on trying it as soon as it is warm enough here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Worm-Compost-System
Slushy

Re: compost trash can

I actually saw the book "Composting for Dummies" at the bookstore the other day, and it's a nice, straightforward guide to help one get started with composting.

What helped me learn more about composting was contacting my town/county's recycling department and asking what type of composting equipment they recommended. I ended up getting an Earth Machine container (for aerobic composting) because my town offered them at a discounted price and the recycling coordinator was willing to walk me through the steps of installing the bin and starting the compost heap. As a newbie, I learned that composting sounded a lot more complicated than it ultimately turned out to be.