bulk dog or cat food

Chris Ahlers Chris Ahlers

bulk dog or cat food

I'm looking for a company or store that sells bulk dog or cat food. I wish to bring my own container to the store to fill up on the food to reduce packaging waste. Has anyone heard of a place like that?
reed reed

Re: bulk dog or cat food

Hi Chris,
We couldn’t find one in my area.  So we researched how to make our own nutritionally complete dog food, and about a year ago ushered in the happiest era of our dog’s life ;)

We supplement his daily ration of commercial kibble with the homemade food- 50% commercial kibble and 50% homemade.  He’s over the moon about it!

I make a batch every 6-8 weeks, freeze it in weekly sized rations, and pull them out as I need them.  I can get all of the ingredients for his homemade stuff without any packaging.  We do still have to buy his regular kibble (packaging and all), but we have to buy a LOT less than we used to and we give the large, empty kibble bags to my sister for trash bags.

We found some good how-to books at the library.  I can’t remember all of the titles, but a couple of them were “Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats” and “Feed Your Pet Right” by Dr. Marion Nestle.
Good luck with your search!
Cocomama Cocomama

Re: bulk dog or cat food

WinCo sells dog & cat food in bulk and bird feed too! Also sells dog treats--the pig ears by rottie loved so much. I hope you find one in your area.
ClaireDeNice ClaireDeNice

Re: bulk dog or cat food

Like Reed, I make homemade food for my little dog, in addition to kibble (50/50 : kibble in the morning and homemade food in the evening). These kibble are provided in a commercial bag... Like I prefer, for the issue of security.

I think that cooking for pets is close to "zero waste" because you only cook chicken, rice, carrots, rapeseed oil and yoghurt, which are available in bulk ! (I think it's so in USA. I'm living in France...). But in my case, to avoid any lack, I add a food supplement for dogs to the homemade food, that little box is in a no-recyclable plastic, unfortunately.

I won't give here the title of the book that helped me cooking for dog because this is a French book... The titles that are given earlier surely are good I think. It's easy enough to cook it, just cook the ingredients (except the rapeseed oil and the complement food that don't support the cooking), then mix all and freeze those in several jars for 10 days or two weeks. Every day or every second day, just get one of those from the freezer and defrost it. It's ready in two minutes. Nevertheless I prefer to mix carrots, rice and chicken together and freeze this blend. Every evening, I get out and defrost one of those jars and add to it the fresh yoghourt, the complement food and the rapeseed oil. Anyway, give it a try, your dog will be even more happy !

No leftovers instead of the homemade dog food, because it may cause a serious nutritional imbalance in the long term...

And about kibble which may be available in bulk, be very careful with the list of ingredients and their origin, and also because of the problem of their preservation (Kibble dislike the air and the heat a lot...).
Michael Michael

Re: bulk dog or cat food

I agree completely.  I buy trimmings from the butcher, and pressure cooker them with some brown rice and veg trimmings.  Pass in the food processor after.

Second trick is this:  after cooking a large chicken or turkey, we make broth for ourselves.  Then I redo the whole batch in the pressure cooker with brown rice and veg trimmings.  Be sure to pick out any bones.  Not necessary to put it through the food processor, but it does make a nicer consistency.

A 50-50 mix of either, he loves it.  No weird by-product stuff as an added bonus.

Re: bulk dog or cat food

Bulk dog food bins are generally refilled using 40 lb. bags.  If you just buy the 40 lb. bag yourself, it makes the same quantity of trash.