bringing your own takeout containers, water bottle, etc + health codes?

Dora Dora

bringing your own takeout containers, water bottle, etc + health codes?

So, I recently asked if I could bring my own vegan cheese to a restaurant for them to use and make a vegan pie for me. They said they couldn't because it was a health code violation (if it matters I live in Los Angeles). Then I mentioned, in passing because I really didn't think it could possibly be a problem, using my own bottle for their coke freestyle machine (which is fantastic, I just had diet coke raspberry for the first time and was amazed). They said that too would be a health code violation. That made me think that any time a customer asked for something they didn't want to give, their stock answer would be that it was a health code violation. So is there any way to check the health codes in my area, and does anyone happen to know about the particular rules for this situation?
Heidi Heidi

Re: bringing your own takeout containers, water bottle, etc + health codes?

Hello,
I am having some of the same issues related to bringing my own containers to food locations.  The food code is published on page 60 at the below link and describes packaging in detail.  Companies are concerned about strict liability associated with contamination and packaging.  Check out the health code-don't like it, but I am not certain we can refute it everywhere in Southern California.  The best thing to do would be to call the health department and ask mroe questions.

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/docs/specialized/cacode.pdf