almost zero waste picnic

Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

almost zero waste picnic

I am really liking this.  My older daughter plays soccer, and usually the games are right around lunchtime far away from where I live , so I pack a picnic lunch for the three of us.  Usually it would involve paper napkins and everything in plastic bags, and sometimes even her water for the game and water for lunch was plastic bottles.  I did usually use a reusable bag to carry everything.

Yesterday I packed two sandwiches in a Pyrex container, my chicken in another Pyrex container, and the apple quarters and cucumber in a steel tiffin.  All three of us had our water in Kleen Kanteens, and I packed cloth napkins and some dishtowels for spreading on laps, which also helped the containers from clanking together on the drive.  It was heavier than my usual, but not a big deal since it was in the trunk of my car.  If it weren't for the popsicles that one of the parents had brought for a post-game treat, it would have been 100% zero waste.  It felt really good, especially not having to worry about finding some plastic bag with a forgotten food item left under the seat for a month!

Re: almost zero waste picnic

Your zero waste picnic sounds lovely! I'll have to try it now that the weather is improving.
Sarah Sarah

Re: almost zero waste picnic

The family and I recently did a similar picnic waiting for an outdoor theatre event to begin. We were surrounded by people opening their fast food bags, glancing longingly at homemade picnic. Sigh.