Zero waste without a garden

Harriet Rosie Harriet Rosie

Zero waste without a garden

Hello!

I'm pretty new to the forum so sorry if this topic has been done to death.

I live in a pretty expensive area and cannot afford an apartment with a garden. I eat a pretty plant-based diet so I would love a garden to grow loads of my own crops, but I won't be able to afford that for years. Does any one have any advice for someone who's desperate to grow her own food but doesn't have the space to do it?

Thank you!

Re: Zero waste without a garden

Do you have a patio or balcony?  I have seen some great vertical gardening installations on pinterest.  You can grow fresh herbs in your windowsills, of course, and tomatoes in hanging baskets in lots of sun.

Do you have a big south-facing window?  some indoor gardening might be feasible if so.

Is there a community garden in your area?

Do you have a friend or relative with a big yard and little desire to tend to it themselves?  Maybe they would let you plant a garden if you do the planting, weeding, harvesting, etc and split the fruits and veggies with them.

Have you heard of guerrilla gardening?  lol.  It might be a fun hobby!

Finally (and perhaps most importantly) if gardening is something that gives you joy maybe it's time to reconsider priorities and work toward finding a home with a yard.  That's what intentional living is about.  We had a nice small low-maintenance yard with a 3-bedroom house.  We decided we could make two bedrooms work and moved to a smaller house with a much bigger yard so we could raise chickens, and plant a garden.
blancmama1 blancmama1

Re: Zero waste without a garden

I agree with Trish. If you have a patio or balcony, you can plant much in pots or vertical gardening. Also, do you have any community gardens close by? Perhaps you could join one or start one to give you more space and even some guidance if you are new to gardening.

My Pinterest board has some ideas to get you started.

Hope that helps!

On Feb 19, 2017 10:24 AM, "Trish [via .]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://x.994912.n3.nabble.com/Zero-waste-without-a-garden-tp4027210p4027211.html
To start a new topic under Gardening & Composting, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ., click here.
NAML