Zero waste grocery delivery?

Andreia Andreia

Zero waste grocery delivery?

Hello all,

I live in Amsterdam and have my organic groceries delivered every week. It's a great service - they make a selection of vegetables, dairy, meat, etc, and suggest recipes for those products. The problem is the packaging. I am ok with the paper bags, but fish comes in a plastic container, milk and yoghurt in tetrapaks... I want to write them about handling the packaging issue. But as I looked around for examples of zero waste grocery delivery services, I found none (except for just one product - milk, or veggies). I guess they are buying from different producers, and handling lots of different jars and containers would be complicated. One thing is going to the store yourself with your glass jar; another is ensuring that everyone's jars and bags are perfectly clean (there are tight hygiene regulations), or personalizing every jar so that each costumer always gets stuff in their personal jars for which they are responsible...

My question is: do you know of any examples of delivery services that are handling packaging in a zero (or little) waste spirit, so that I can tell my service about them? Do you have any thoughts on this?
I wish to continue using this service, because it's so convenient and actually means less CO2 emissions (studies show that delivery is way better in this respect than all the individual cars driving to the store and back).

Thank you!
Lilabell Lilabell

Re: Zero waste grocery delivery?

Dear Andreia,

thanks for your question! I`m blogger and write about Zero Waste on my blog Lilabell: https://lilabellsite.wordpress.com/

I can recommend a very good bulk shop in Amsterdam, called Delicious Food. Although they don`t deliver products, it might be an interesting address for you. Also, they are super friendly and I can imagine that they would love to help you!

I hope that helps if you are still looking for an answer.

All the best,

Lilabell