Zero-waste Unmentionables

Allison Allison

Zero-waste Unmentionables

I need new undies! What does the community have to say about finding sustainable unmentionables? I know I can search for "organic underwear", but I have no idea if there's a better option or what companies are really doing their best. Also, I'd like to not spend $25 a pair. (Unless they'll last 15 years, then maybe...)
Amelia Amelia

Re: Zero-waste Unmentionables

There is several options in Outdoor stores like REI, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shop, Adventure 16 ect that have durable options. Merino Wool is compostable (i believe!) and will last you forever. You will be spending $25+ and there is only usually one or two styles (briefs or boy shorts). If thats not your thing I just do Target brand (6 pairs) and they are lasting pretty long!
Amelia Amelia

Re: Zero-waste Unmentionables

forgot to mention just try to be careful with your items (like most things!) so  try to be prepared with your period (TMI i know!)  and you can scrap them as rags at goodwill's recycling program if they get to ragged.
Adrienne Adrienne

Re: Zero-waste Unmentionables

I have 2 pair of bamboo/cotton blend undies and they are so comfortable and very little visible line showing under fitted clothing. Great for travel as easy to wash and dry. NZ$20 each but 5 yrs later still look new.  I'm in NZ so can't say where you would buy them in the US.

Re: Zero-waste Unmentionables

Here's a source
http://www.cottonique.com/collections/womans?page=2

While they use plastic to adjust straps on bras they aim for non allergenic, so 100% cotton, no latex and creative use of draw strings for support bras. I noticed my 5 year old Vanity Fair bras have developed dark spots in the cups so got me thinking about all the petroleum products my girls are suspended in daily. If anyone has found other sources please share. Undergarments is one area I would prefer to buy new.