Zero packaging store design?

Sue Sue

Zero packaging store design?

Hi.  Bea was recently in South Africa and gave a very inspiring talk.  When I go to the "Bulk finder' link above, there is no bulk store listed in South Africa.  My local whole food shop sells everything in pre-weighed plastic bags.  I'd like to work with this store to investigate ways that their produce could be sold without any packaging so that customers could bring their own fabric bags or containers.  I'd love names of shops in other countries that are doing this so that I can get some store design ideas.  It would be amazing to be the first zero packaging store in South Africa!
Amanda van Niekerk Amanda van Niekerk

Re: Zero packaging store design?

Hi Sue...I am in Johannesburg, and I have started re-using my own cellophane packets instead of using the stores' plastic packets when I shop at Foodlovers and Pick n Pay. I keep a stash in my handbag when I go shopping for fruit, veggies and dry goods (lentils, nuts etc) and so far so good..no objections from helpers at the tills. This is not a perfect solution, but its better than plastic, as cellophane is meant to be fully compostable.  (I have a cellophane packet in my compost heap as we speak, and I'm waiting to see if it rots). Also, the staff still put a price sticker on my packet once they have weighed the final product. So, yes, like you I would love to have more options in terms of zero waste shopping, I am doing my research in and around Johannesburg. Farmers Markets still the best choice for many items.