Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

Katie Katie

Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

In our attempt to save money and reduce waste, my partner and I have committed to bringing our lunches and snacks to work. This has been a great success for our wallets, waistline, and our trash can. We use Lunchskins for our sandwiches and snacks (made out of nylon but can be used over 1,000 times and then reusable after that as well).

We are still buying pretzels and crackers in regular packaging (but trying to buy the one with the least amount of packaging!) and string cheese (I don't even want to talk about...this is my partner's addiction, not mine).

Do you have any recommendations for some tasty lunch snacks that are also zero waste?

Alexa Alexa

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

-Sliced cucumber with the skin peeled in strips (keeps the cucumber crispy, but reduces the amount of waxy skin to eat). Eat plain, dipped in hummus, or with flavored salts (available at in the Mexican foods aisle or in bulk at ethnic markets).

-bulk nuts with fresh fruit

-trail mix, either bulk or homemade

-bulk crackers or pretzels

As for the cheese sticks, if the obsession is mozzarella string cheese, you could make homemade string cheese. Buy bulk mozzarella from the deli/cheese counter. Once home, rinse the cheese, wrap it in a damp cloth and put it on a board that drains into the sink. Place a plate or cutting board on top and put a heavy-ish object on top of the plate, phone books work well, so you need about 2 lbs of weight. The goal is to squeeze the excess water out of the cheese without drying it out. To speed things up you can try applying slow even pressure to the board/plate on top of the cheese, but this is risky, because too much pressure will split/squash the cheese.

Let the cheese sit for at least an hour, but more like three. Then, unwrap and check the texture, it should be way less watery, slightly rubbery and starting to fray at the ends. Rinse the cheese again and slice into the desired serving size. Voila! Homemade string cheese

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

- Chocolate pudding: I use Smitten Kitchen's recipe and divide the pudding into small-sized Le Parfait containers.

- Cheese thins: from Chocolate and Zucchini's blog recipe. I use Parmesan cheese. Delicious.

- Gougeres: these are like savory cream puffs w/o the cream filling. I make a large batch and freeze them until needed. The recipe I use is from Alice Water's "The Art of Simple Food."

- Bretzel rolls: a la Smitten Kitchen, again. Easy to make in a large batch and freeze until needed. Bread and pretzel in one. The website also has a number of soft pretzel recipes.

- Radishes with radish leaf pesto dip: one of my favorite snacks, and it uses the entire vegetable- no waste! Another C & Z recipe.

- Scones: another freezable snack. You can make them sweet or savory. Or both. I like the combination of pear and gouda. I use the recipe from Alice Water's book.

- Hard-boiled eggs: be sure to include a small container of salt or paprika.

- Granola bars: just add agave sugar and coconut to the granola mix of your choice, press into a brownie pan, and bake at 350 F for 20 min or so.

- Kale chips: as mentioned in another section of this blog. Really easy to make.

- Potato chips: DIY by deep-frying or baking. I like thinly slicing sweet potatoes and frying in sunflower oil.

- Popcorn: using bulk popcorn kernels and customizing with flavors of your choice. One combo that I like is butter and parsley.

- Zucchini and walnut bread: from the "More from Magnolia" cookbook. Slice and freeze until needed.

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

Alexa and Sandra - Great ideas!!! Yum!

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

I agree -- thanks for the great ideas! I recently acquired some Lunchbots for storing snacks, but had limited ideas on what to put in them. This list helps!
Katie Katie

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

Fabulous!! Thanks so much :) This post was inspired with lunch snacks! I truly appreciate your ideas and time for putting this together!
countrylady2002 countrylady2002

Re: Zero Waste Lunch Snacks?

I can't wait to try the string cheese.  I had never seen a receipe for that. Thanks for posting.