Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

Interesting topic: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/fashion/15waste.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1 (I had no idea making blue jeans was so wasteful)

The makers of the Reusable Fabric Gift Bag (see "links") follow principles of Zero Waste.
Flour Girl Flour Girl

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

In my community (in Iowa), we can donate our fabric scraps to a church and they are shredded into stuffing to make pillows for the homeless. The program isn't very well known though.

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

Loomstate challenged Parsons students to design a garment with zero waste. Not high fashion, final product costly, but cool challenge.

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

Youtube: T-shirt repurposing. Some extraneous stuff at the end, but easy project. Thinking [a bit] outside the box.
Link from No Impact Project.
Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife) Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife)

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

you're the best! thanks for sharing this great info, Jay!

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

:-)

Re: Zero Waste Design, Sewing, Crafting

Thanks, Jay! I followed the link to her books on Amazon -- if you preview the book you can see some of the projects -- some great ideas in there. Will have to perform experimental surgery on some of my nearly donated t-shirts!