Zero Waste Arts and Crafts Ideas

Amanda Amanda

Zero Waste Arts and Crafts Ideas

I write this as I am watching my daughter enjoy painting and playing with her "plastic" spirograph... I want her to have lots of opportunity to be creative and do arts and crafts. What are some great ideas for doing this zero waste? Also, inside ideas are welcome as I live in a pretty rainy, cool climate.

Re: Zero Waste Arts and Crafts Ideas

Bea has recipes for her homemade watercolor paints and glue.

We are lax enough about zero-waste in our house to be ok with second-hand art supplies.
We are making a dolls house with a partially-assembled dollhouse kit from the Goodwill, used Popsicle sticks for flooring, re-purposed fabrics sewn into curtains and bedding, etc.

I am saving my son's clothes with holes, etc. to make him a quilt.

The other day I found a handful of empty thread spools, so I looked up "spools" on Pinterest and found a cute spool snowman ornament idea.  I pinned it to make this Christmas with him as one of the events on our homemade advent calendar.  I will borrow a few dabs of paint from my mom (who used to paint regularly until her eyesight started failing her) and we will find a scrap of ribbon for the scarf, and string the spools together with a little re-purposed jute or twine.

For centuries people have made handicrafts from whatever is available and abundant.  I think it's only recently that people have turned to purchasing the majority of their craft supplies. So whenever you come across something, think creatively about its potential, or look for others' ideas on Pinterest.

Re: Zero Waste Arts and Crafts Ideas

Here is an oldie but a goodie, maybe you can find it locally. Covers lots of activities using objects around the home.  A companion book is The Toy Book by same author.

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Caneys-Playbook-Caney/dp/0911104372