ZW lunch ideas?

katie katie

ZW lunch ideas?

My partner and I pack our lunch every day. Sandwiches, fruit, and veggies are staples but...what tips or ideas do you all have for lunch? I love a dessert treat and a crunchy snack too. What is in your ZW lunch?

Re: ZW lunch ideas?

My family and I try to pack our lunches every day, too. To add some variety to our lunches, I've been turning to a website called Just Bento for ideas on packable lunches. Bento is the Japanese term for "meal in a box." The recipes on the site include both Japanese and Western-style cuisines (my favorite recipe is the one for zucchini basil muffins). There's even a weekly bento planner and ways to prepare and freeze foods ahead of time.
Scott Scott

Re: ZW lunch ideas?

I pack my lunch 2-3 times per week - and I usually have the sandwich / fruit as well - but I too need a sweet and a savory/crunchy item...Sometimes cookies that Bea has made, orpeanuts/pistachios/almonds, or different bulk bin treats like yogurt covered pretzels or ginger snaps...variety is key.
Surviving and thriving on pennies Surviving and thriving on pennies

Re: ZW lunch ideas?

Oh I have so many things to share. I did a post about this on my blog recently. http://survivingandthrivingonpennies.blogspot.com/2012/01/waste-and-plastic-free-lunch-on-budget.html

Sandwich-I use a fabric bag I bought from a local store. Usually cost $5 but last for years
Snack-fabric bag a friend made us. You can purchase them in Etsy and Ebay as well.
Veggie/fruit-Small mason jars work like a charm and dont leak. I have yet to have one actually break in any of my 4 daughters lunches. They have never had a school premade lunch. Only lunch they eat is what mama packs them.
Water-reusable Sigg water bottle.

Need I say more? Here are some great ideas for food on the cheap

Sandwich
peanut butter n jelly-I make my own bread, jelly and peanut butter.
Peanut butter n banana-cheaper than jelly! So yummy

Snacks
pretzels, pirates booty, tortilla chips

Produce
Anything in season