ZW dog walks

I considered a few options for this. I have a 50 lb. dog, and we walk twice a day and were using two baggies each day. I was tired of paying $15-20 every couple months for more bags, and I was tired of my trash can stinking (in addition to the waste considerations).

I tried digging a hole in the yard for dog waste, but I hit tree roots too early, and I decided I was unlikely to walk to the back of a dark yard at night to dump something anyway, not to mention that I wasn't sure I could successfully keep my hands clean when scooping with newspaper. I was not willing to carry one of those scoops with long handles that people use for clearing their yards.

Finally, I hit upon the following solution. I needed something flexible to aid in scooping (so most cups wouldn't work), and it needed to have an airtight lid (so I could stop and talk to the neighbors without reeking; the lid also helps with the scooping process). I bought the following silicone container from Amazon. It seals the smell inside better than the baggies ever did! I bring it home, flush the contents, and wash it out for the next walk. I am currently carrying it in a furoshiki bag made from a bandana (therefore, washable). Although it is slightly larger than I imagined, at 10 oz. it really is about right for my med/large dog.

If you have a smaller ... dog, you might want to use the smaller size.
Lisa E Lisa E

Re: ZW dog walks

This is great! I was thinking about this very same subject over the weekend.  The little silicone containers would be perfect since I have a tiny dog.  I have no problem carrying a plastic bag but I hate the idea of throwing all that plastic in the trash.  I don't think I would be able to use a receipt like Bea uses because I would hate to carry it the entire way.

Thanks for the great tip!  I will be ordering them and giving them a try.

Re: ZW dog walks

This post was updated on .
Let me know how it works!

I am finding that it works better if I steer the dog toward shorter grass -- it is a little hard (but not impossible) to pick stuff out of longish grass...

Also, I realized that a small butter/yogurt container with lid would also work, if you still have any of those around the house. I chose silicone because it sanitizes better than plastic, but you could try the plastic for a while just to see if the method would work for you...