ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

Yes, after three years of experiments, I found a super cheap, safe, ZW deodorant that actually works all day.... vinegar!

 a little history:

As a teenager and young adult I used Secret antiperspirant and had big lumps perpetually under my arms (swollen lymph nodes?)  I though it was normal until I got a job at a beauty salon and one of the technicians offered to wax my underarms (Idk it was the early 2000's and everybody seemed to be waxing everything, so I said ok).  Any way, she told me my swollen lymph nodes were not normal.

Soon after, all the buzz about aluminum deodorant being unsafe came out.  I switched to Toms and it gave me a terrible rash.  I tried 5 or 6 other deodorants form the health food store with either irritation or odor.

Then I stumbled on zero waste and tried the alum stone with mixed results.  Sometimes it seemed to work fine.  Other times it didn't seem to work at all.  Was it my application technique?  Something I ate?  Stress sweating vs. sweating in response to high body temp? Was I developing resistance? I never could figure it out.

Next I tried cornstarch which seemed fine in the winter, but inadequate in the summer.  I added baking soda.  More skin irritation.

I tried making my own with coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda.  More irritation and break-outs.

Finally it dawned on me that the skin is supposed to be acidic, not alkaline.  Baking soda is a base.   I needed a non-toxic weak acid that killed bacteria and prevented them from growing again.... of course!  Vinegar.  And it works!

I just keep it in a little travel-sized bottle and wipe a few drops under my arms in the morning and let it dry completely before getting dressed.  (it makes clothes smell like vinegar otherwise).  I have been using it for 3 months with temps in the 90's and plenty of stress at work.  It seems to be working great.  Just thought I'd share!
Justine Justine

Re: ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

Thanks for your post! I will try it in summer :-)

Re: ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

The claims about antiperspirants and CA  or swollen nodes aren't  based on sound science. Again, folks, Mercola is not a reputable scientific site. It's all bunk. You would have been fine staying with an antiperspirant. I use one because hyperhidration is a pain in the ass. Vinegar under my arms just isn't going to happen but good luck!  People in the imperialist core eschewing scientifically sound and safe products is always mind boggling to me.

Re: ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

False.  The claims about breast cancer and antiperspirants are contradicted by science.  There haven't been any studies about swollen lymph nodes and antiperspirants, specifically.  There have also been scientific studies that show that antiperspirant changes underarm skin flora, can lead to inflamed sweat ducts, and a variety of other issues.

I obviously have sensitive skin, having had bad reactions to many brands of antiperspirants, deodorants, lotions, soaps, and detergents, to name a few.  I can't imagine being so smug as to assure a stranger with sensitive skin that she would have been fine using a product with so many ingredients as Secret.

I also can't imagine being so smug as to assume that a person I don't know gets all of her information from Mercola.

This is a zero waste forum. We are here to "eschew" packaged products.  I found an incredibly cheap, safe, single-ingredient alternative to a conventional packaged product and am sharing my back story.  Others might try it (they have nothing to lose) and find that it suits them too.

blancmama1 blancmama1

Re: ZW deodorant search over (after 3 years)

Thank you for your information! I personally haven't had any problem with using baking soda, but my husband had a really bad reaction and went back to his commercial deodorant. I'm probably going to make a solid deodorant recipe without baking soda for him once he uses it up.

I had a terrible reaction with antiperspirants though and so do many of the women in my family. We always just took breaks and dealt with it. I'm glad you found something that works well for you. Who knew deodorant could be so controversial?

On Jan 13, 2017 6:03 PM, "Trish [via .]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://x.994912.n3.nabble.com/ZW-deodorant-search-over-after-3-years-tp4027007p4027126.html
To start a new topic under Bathroom (incl. toiletries and medications), email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ., click here.
NAML