Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Cherish Cherish

Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Hi,

I eat a fruit only diet so I consume A LOT of fruit and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for the best way to compost the fruit waste. I didn't know if I would need just a huge container or if one type of composting was faster than another. F.Y.I. we  go through about 30 bananas, 10 mangoes, 20 apples, and other various fruits and veggies each day.

Thanks.

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Cherish,

Wow, that is a LOT of fruit -- how many people is that feeding?

I just saw a demo the other day for a Blendtec blender (basically the same as a Vitamix) that blends fruit so finely that you don't have to discard the cores. They threw in strawberries with the tops on and pineapple with the core (but minus the skin) -- I was skeptical, but it came out delicious! It would definitely reduce the amount of fruit scraps.

I have never owned a blender, nor did I think I needed one until I saw this demo -- it would save trips to the compost pile, and it made hot soup and ice cream too!

Admittedly, I am easily swayed by gadgets. The $400 price tag slowed me down though....

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Wrennerd: let me talk you down from getting a Blendtec! I, too, love gadgets, and perused all the Vitamix/Blendtec postings, comments, etc. Ultimately got an oldie but goodie Vitamix on eBay from what must have been an estate sale. All Stainless, works perfectly, but I NEVER use it. Everything it can do, something else can do as well, or almost as well, and its a bear to clean. You can whir up anything, but ultimately, I decided I didn't need so much of "everything" whirred into liquid. So, anyway, long story short, the Vitamix, plus cookbooks, plus a few extra doodads, now sits in our shed. I think I'll be parting with it at our next yardsale, at a great loss of $, but happy to move it on.

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

For those who are wondering, I will be selling the Vitamix locally. Thanks for asking.
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Jay, I haven't started composting yet, but in the meantime I'm blending my fruit/veggie scraps and pouring it into my planting beds. Just a thought. :-)

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Thanks, Jay -- I'll definitely think it through before spending the $$.

Maria -- Fabulous idea for speeding the composting process!!! You should cross-post that in the composting threads!

Re: Worm Composting For A LOT of fruit waste

Something to look out for when composting mango fruits. I had problems with the compost turning sticky and sludge-like when I added mango peels and seeds to our outdoor aerobic compost bin. Adding more leaves to the pile did not remedy the problem. Not sure if it has something to do with the fruit's enzymes? I ended up having to empty the entire bin, sift out the gooey mess, and start a new pile.