Winter - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

I am starting this category for each season for us to post recipes, resources, ideas...please share what works for you and your family, thanks!

Re: Winter - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

Here's a site I found:

http://zerowastechef.com/
Monica M. Monica M.

Re: Winter - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

We love to cook minestrone soup in the winter - it's hearty and warming!

2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
2-3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 zucchini, diced
mushrooms diced (optional)
chicken or veggie broth (made homemade and frozen in mason jars - careful when freezing) (I use about 4-6 cups)
1 cup pasta (purchased in bulk)
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (the only thing I haven't found zero waste)

Saute the carrots, garlic, celery, and mushrooms in olive oil until softened. Add died tomatoes, zucchini, broth to cover, and pasta. Boil for 10-15 minutes until pasta is cooked.

Serve with fresh bread (my favorite is ciabatta!)

Re: Winter - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

Butternut Squash
I prep this then store in fridge to use throughout the week or make soup.

Scrub exterior of squash.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Insert sharp knife in squash several times for venting.
Bake whole squash, depending on size around 45 minutes on jelly roll pan (can line with silicon mat).
Remove from oven and test for doneness. Knife should penetrate flesh very easily.
If done cooking, let cool on counter.
Slice cooled squash. Remove seeds and fibers from bulbous end by scooping with a large spoon. Scrape from skin then chop flesh, aim for 1 inch dice. Store in refrigerator or freeze for future use.

Rinse and detangle seeds from fibers in colander in sink (if you want to use seeds). Dry seeds on tea towel and roast in skillet with various seasonings either dry or with a small amount of your favorite vegetable oil stirring frequently until golden. When cool store covered in pantry.