Why are we doing this?

This post was updated on .
Personally, I can't say that I'm adopting ZW for my kids, since I don't have any. I do, however, have a couple other motivating factors:
* I remodeled an old house over a several year period, and in the course of those 4 years, I watched the topography at my local landfill go from a valley to a hill. I wish I had taken pictures to show the changes, but it was drastic, and it made me think twice about adding more to it. ZW finally articulated and provided a repeatable process for doing so. Everyone should take an occasional field trip to their local dump.
* I tend toward things that are practical and DIY -- sometimes to the point of impracticality -- but always with the twin goals of doing things for myself and spending less money in the process.

This reminds me of an Adventures in Odyssey episode (a radio show for kids) titled Tales of Moderation that teaches three lessons, which fit nicely with ZW principles (also known as "common sense"):
* If you use it all up now, you won't have any later.
* The more possessions you own, the more your possessions own you.
* Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

So my personal ZW principles are:
* More choices are not always better. By deciding how much is "enough," I no longer feel a need for more. By limiting my choice of stores, I shop less.
* The less I shop, the less I buy.
* The less I buy, the less trash I bring home.
* The less trash I bring home, the less trashy my house looks.
* The less trashy my house looks, the more willing I am to have other people in my home.

All of which leads back to where this post started: since starting ZW in January, I've finally gotten my household shopping and cleaning under control to the point where it no longer takes all weekend and actually feels "maintainable" -- and as a result (after years of wavering), I've finally started the process to become a foster parent. So in a surprising way, it is for kids, but not my own.

* What are other peoples' motivations for implementing ZW?
* What common sense principles/proverbs/advice are echoing more loudly as you do so?
* What is ZW freeing you to do?