Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Jenny Jenny

Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Perfect Kitchen towel- clean up spills/ wipe counters/ dry dishes

Perfect kid clean-up towel- wipe down faces, hands, and dry them off

Perfect for rising dough when draped over bowl damp (goodbye saran wrap!)

Perfect size for Furoshiki (the art of gift wrapping with cloth)

Perfect size for wrapping up a lunch to go (sandwich, fruit, veggie, treat)

Perfect size for cloth diapering

Perfect for drying off after a shower- it will dry me or three kids out of the tub!

They dry QUICK- just hang them to dry

They launder quickly and thoroughly

Perfect for pulling hair back for whatever purpose (hair scarf)

Great tie-on bib

Perfect burp/ spit up rag

Great play accessory (doll blanket/ draped over blocks for mountain/ car catapult)

Fold in half and sew two sides to make a reusable bulk produce bag

Fold to use as a hotpad or trivet

Rubber band over a jar to keep cut herbs fresh

Place in bottom of produce drawer instead of a paper towel

When dingy re-whitened by dampening & laying in bright sunlight

Generous handkerchief/ hanky

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Jenny, where would one find a flour sack towel? Do you start with a flour sack or are they sold as towels? Not sure I have ever seen these, but I am curious. I also find bandanas useful for most of these purposes (but I have never dried off on one after a shower). :)

Jenny Jenny

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

They are sold as towels and available almost everywhere including amazon.com
The best price I have found though is at Walmart- 5 for $5.00   I am almost certain the cotton was not sustainable harvested and is not organic :( - but very affordable.

They are thicker than bandanas and larger- and when I say perfect size for the things I mentioned- they really are!!

Here is an awsome cloth diaper folding website for using flats (large single square of cloth)-also called nappies: http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/articlecategorylist.aspx?id=18

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Thanks -- I will be looking for them locally!

I discovered accidentally that microfiber towels must actually be [gasp!] plastic, because when I used one as a potholder, it melted! [I've long suspected that we're eventually going to find out that microfiber is bad for us, and the melting further convinced me.]

So I will have to try these towels. Not sure if I'm brave enough to use white, though... :)

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

FWIW Bea has a link in her Amazon "Store" for these towels, but should be able to find locally, too.
Jenny Jenny

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Yea, I'm not 'into' microfibre because they are a synthetic polyester product (read plastic) but mostly because of the stink buildup issue.  They hold onto bacteria :(

Don't be afraid of the white!  Just dampen and lay out in the bright sun- like magic, I promise!

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Highly intrigued by the possibility of being able to use one type of towel for everything (kitchen, hand, bath) and thus never having to sort towels again (a chore I hate, for some reason), I ordered some of the extra large/jumbo towels (32"x38"). The regular size, although larger than a bandana, still seemed a bit too small for a bath towel...
Dawnie Dawnie

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

I have just rediscovered flour sack towels.... they totally take me back to my childhood.  My Grandmother and Aunts all had dozens of them in their homes and used them for everything you mentioned.  :)  I bought some at walmart I think 4 for $4 and change.  But just found them at Target 4 for just under $4.  I LOVE them and took some and cut into fourths and sewed the edges and am using them in place of paper towels.
They make me smile!
ciangal ciangal

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Please please please do NOT support WalMart.  They have the worst ethics and employee practices.  I found 10 flour sacks at Ross of all places for $7.  I have had them for 7 years now and they are still in amazing shape.

Re: Why I love Flour Sack Towels

Just an update--very happy with the extra large/jumbo size. They are a bit rough, which wouldn't seem to be appealing, but it just feels like a good exfoliant! Keeping a few bath towels for guests; the rest are going into the donations box. :)