Where to Find Natural Rubber Gaskets for Fido & Le Parfait?

Erin Erin

Where to Find Natural Rubber Gaskets for Fido & Le Parfait?

When I first bought my Le Parfait and Fido jars, I thought they smelled like chemicals when I opened the. I emailed both companies and sure enough, neither "rubber" gasket is actually made of rubber. I'll include the responses below.  I was told by Le Parfait that they use two different gaskets, one of natural rubber for France and the UK, and one synthetic for jars sold in the US. I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get hold of the natural rubber gaskets; maybe in Canada? I certainly don't want my bulk foods and fermented foods smelling like chemicals. Here are the emails (now that I'm reading the Le Parfait messages again, I'm wondering if the "natural rubber" gaskets they make for France/UK are even 100% natural rubber??):

Le Parfait:

Dear Erin,

Gaskets are made of rubber (60% Latex).
Maybe the Familia Wiss range will be like you want : caps are made of tinned iron with a PVC seal inside.

Best regards,

Le Service Consommateurs
        LE PARFAIT
  Tél. 08 05 36 00 01
Site Internet : www.leparfait.fr

Hi,

What is the remaining 40% if they're 60% latex?

Thank you again,

Erin

Hello,

Gaskets are made of rubber with natural latex and chemical , so we don't recommend if you are allergic.
We can't reveal our trade secrets but it is BPA free.

Best regards,

Le Service Consommateurs
         LE PARFAIT
   Tél. 08 05 36 00 01
Site Internet : www.leparfait.fr

Dear Erin,

I hope you’re well. Thank you for your email below and apologies for  the delay in responding. I had to go to the Le Parfait team in France to find out and they took a while to respond.

We work with two manufactures on our seals, one makes synthetic rubber seals (for jars sold in the US) and the other makes natural rubber seals.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Ailsa

Ailsa Wheeler
Spoon PR Ltd

The Veuve Clicquot World's Best Female Chef Award- 2014 winner to be announced 25th March-
http://spoonhq.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/veuve-clicquot-worlds-best-female-chef-to-be-announced-25th-march-2014/

T +44 56 036 87701
M +44 74 4691 2437
WEB www.spoon-pr.com
BILL GRANGER / EKSTEDT (Stockholm) / GRANGER & CO (Notting Hill) / GREG MALOUF / LE PARFAIT / LE QUARTIER FRANCAIS (Franschhoek) / MARK BEST / MARQUE RESTAURANT (Sydney) / MASSIMO BOTTURA / MODERNIST CUISINE & MODERNIST CUISINE AT HOME (Nathan Myhrvold) / NIKLAS EKSTEDT / OSTERIA FRANCESCANA (Modena) / PETERSHAM NURSERIES CAFE (Richmond) / THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF MODERNIST CUISINE / QUERCUS / STEPHEN TERRY / THE HARDWICK (Abergavenny) / THE WORLD`S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS AWARDS (sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna) / VEUVE CLICQUOT

Fido:

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear of this experience you had with our Fido Jar. All plastic seals and parts are 100% BPA, PVC and phthalate free. The rubber gasket is made from polyethylene, a series of long hydrocarbon chains. Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie O'Hara
Public Relations Manager

Bormioli Rocco Glass Company
41 Madison Ave • New York, NY, 10010 • USA
Tel: 646-280-0356 • www.bormioliroccousa.com • www.facebook.com/bormioliroccousa