Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Julie Julie

Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

I've been checking around and I haven't found anyone selling dish soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, or any other cleaners. I'm on the east coast. Is there anyone on these forums on the east coast? Anyway, we have switched to seventh generation and the whole foods brand, but I'd rather bring my own bottles...

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

I'm also on the East Coast. I'm also having a tough time finding bulk soap and detergent. The closest places for me are the 4th St. Food Co-op (open to the public) and Green Depot, both stores located in NYC. The West Coast has definitely got us beat when it comes to selection and prevalence of stores selling things in bulk. My local Whole Foods offers Sun and Earth brand liquid laundry detergent, but no shampoo or liquid dish soap. In general, I'm noticing that food co-ops tend to be places where you can find better selections of bulk goods.

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Have you tried using Google Maps and searching nearby "bulk"? That helped me locate a couple places.
Julie Julie

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Ahhhhh, good idea about Google Maps. That'll be my next step. I did a scouting run at the Tacoma Park co-op. You are right. They have the best selection. I was able to find all the spices I need and oils too. Score!! :) But I asked about cleaning supplies and everything they have is plastic packaged. :( I'm also trying to find bakers yeast that isn't in plastic. Now that we are baking all of our bread, I'm going through the ingredients much more quickly. The flour comes in a paper bag so I can compost that. I'm working on getting sugar in paper too. Now that I've found oil, all I need is the yeast. I wonder if natural yeast would work in the bread machine....probably not...how did I get off the topic of detergents? anyhoo...

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

FWIW: posted about yeast at Kitchen/Saving Money Forum
Julie Julie

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Thanks! I'll check it out...and try to stay on topic. ;)

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

I had just realized I was getting as long winded as usual, and figured I would be too far off topic :-)
These ideas are all so intertwined, aren't they?

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

For folks in the NYC area, Common Good sells a line of refillable cleaning products, such as laundry detergent, dish soap, hand soap, and all-purpose cleaner. You can bring your own container, reuse one of theirs or buy one of their empty glass bottles.
earthislife earthislife

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Thanks for sharing about Common Good. They are actually close by me and would love to have the chance to go there and see what they're all about. :)
Jenny Jenny

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

Julie- are you in Tacoma, WA?  I am and I 'think' (not sure) that Winco might have bulk detergents.  They have a lot of bulk stuff and they will even give you 5%off bulk prices if you purchase an entire bag of the bulk stuff!
Julie Julie

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

No, I'm east coast. ;( I'm still not having much luck with detergents in bulk. I'm starting to get to know my local organic market owner. I hope to convince him to start carrying them. He seems pretty accommodating and is looking to get crackers and my favorite cereals in bulk. I'm optimistic!
Jenny Jenny

Re: Where is everyone getting their bulk detergents from?

"He seems pretty accommodating and is looking to get crackers and my favorite cereals in bulk. I'm optimistic! "   ...wow!  Nice Julie!