Wedding Registry & Moving

Karissa Karissa

Wedding Registry & Moving

Hello Bea,

My fiancé and I are going through the process of registering for wedding gifts and we have made the decision to pursue a zero waste lifestyle as we begin our life together. Are there any businesses you recommend to provide the kind of high-quality home goods that we need to start a home (bed linens, towels, pots/pans, etc).

Also, we will be making a move from our respective childhood homes in Houston to Austin, TX. Any tips on minimizing waste during a move?
Joules Joules

Re: Wedding Registry & Moving

Hey Karissa,

This isn't a store, per se, but we used Simple Registry ( www.simpleregistry.com ) for our wedding and it worked better than expected for us.

The concept is that you create a "wish list" and guests can contribute monetarily to those items through the website. This allowed us to list experiences (sailing classes!), second-hand items (replacement windows for our '66 Airstream), and handmade goods (dress from a boutique in my neighborhood), that can't be found at a Sur La Table or Bed Bath & Beyond. The money was deposited in our bank account and we had control over purchasing the actual items.

I wasn't sure how our guests would respond to a different kind of registry (especially my 74 year old parent's friends), but everyone said they loved it!

In your case, this may be a way to mix and match items you love from different stores, if needed. (Instead of just registering under one store.)

Cheers, Julie
michel88 michel88

Re: Wedding Registry & Moving

My fiancé suggest me to book Las Vegas restaurants because it is very close to our house. But I am not sure which restaurant or hotels give us best wedding packages. Please suggest some more venues.

Re: Wedding Registry & Moving

Maybe spread by word of mouth that you would prefer gift cards?  No wrapping paper and much easier to pack!

Re: Wedding Registry & Moving

I've been thinking since I first saw you post, how much I wish I would have discovered bea's blog BEFORE getting married, buying a house, and furnishing it.

I wish hadn't registered
I wish we would have bought an older home rather than new construction
I wish we would have been in less of a hurry to furnish the home.  We could have shopped around at vintage/antiques shops, thrift stores, auction houses etc. or the big pieces of furniture especially.  While we did furnish most of the house that way, we did make a few hurried purchases  I regret: the media console from Costco,  a set of wall-hangings from pottery barn, and the patio furniture from target.  :(

The materials new goods are made of are just so darn cheap, full of formaldehyde, and have very little character.  We could have picnicked outside on a blanket until we found the right patio furniture.  We could have put the tv on an old desk until the right antique buffet  was found.  We could have had a blank wall for a while... It would have been smarter.
katyperry katyperry

Re: Wedding Registry & Moving

Thanks all for your recommendation. I will carry out after i settle my Australia home loans.
Katy, Business Analyst Touch and Convert - TNC your conversion is our priority