Vertical Living Walls???

earthislife earthislife

Vertical Living Walls???

Hello everyone! I've been doing research on vertical living walls. Ive found something called "wallys". Has anyone ever heard of these or used them? Im interested in having something like Beas, neat and stable looking. Im wondering if Bea's is made out pf plastic or material. I would love to have plants on my wall instead of having them all scattered on my fall, taking up valuable living space :). If you have any ideas, or have come across any other options let me know :)

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

I like this article from the NY Times for more info on wall planters and links for sources. I've seen the Woolly Pocket "Wallys" in person and they look well-designed and easy to use (very little installation required and you can plant and hang it immediately) but a little pricey ($40 per panel) for what you get. They sell them over at Green Depot on Bowery St. in NYC. When I was considering whether or not to install a vertical planter in my home, my primary concern was whether or not the planter would run the risk of damaging my walls. The indoor version of the "Wally" is backed with a waterproof barrier to prevent leaks and damage. I eventually decided to mount my collection of orchids on bark, but I may look into getting a "Wally" for my regular house plants.

Bea's vertical planter is beautiful, no? No wonder so many people have asked about it! I think she said she brought the components back from France, but you might want to search the blog comments again for answers.

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

In case you're looking for a larger planter to cover an entire wall, Green Living Technologies has an amazing selection of wall-mounted and freestanding vertical planters that are made entirely of stainless steel or aluminum. Definitely an investment piece (it's expensive!), but it may be something to look into if you're looking for a long-lasting vertical planter that has a built-in drip reservoir and catch basin.

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

Here is a DIY option! Probably better for an outdoor space, but if you painted the pallet, it might even become suitable for indoors...

  http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

Oh, I like this DIY option! Maybe backing it with some waterproof material (a tarp?) to make it suitable for indoor use.

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

I would be careful not to put it on a wooden floor, as moisture would almost certainly seep into the floor, but tile would probably be okay if you were careful about backing it very well with a plastic tarp. (I don't think canvas would work in this case...)

And of course be super careful about the wall against which it leans!
MariaNoCA MariaNoCA

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

The link to the article below about DIG garden store/nursery in Santa Cruz, CA has some good information/sources. I saw their display at Sunset Magazine's Celebration Weekend this year and fell in love with the green walls, but the best thing was a fantastic huge table with a green planted section running down the center crack of a polished slab of redwood, much the the cement/green photos in the article. It was amazing. I keep meaning to stop by their store when I'm over near there.

Vertical Wall Plantings
Reed Reed

Re: Vertical Living Walls???

Oh, I love the Green Living Technologies structures!  They are so elegantly conceived, but also soo expensive…
In making vivariums and paludariums, I know people use Ecoweb a lot, and Wally’s too.  Below is a link to a drip wall build that is hung on the wall (free-hanging rather than in a paludarium).  It’s a little outside-the-box, but the concepts might be transferable :)

http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/palu-gallery/5407-drip-wall.html