United Kingdom and islands

Englander Englander

United Kingdom and islands

Do you know bulk buying options in your area of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man?

I'll start off with Lancaster, England: Single Step Co-op sells loose grains, pulses, nuts, granola, herbs, spices, dried fruit, herbal infusions, organic veg (mostly loose) and Bio D detergent refills.

Philberts Bakery, Lancaster. Handcrafted organic loaves.

Hilltop Bakery, Lancaster. Traditonal bakery - tin loaves and simple cakes shelved unwrapped (ask for no bags)

What's good where you are? (UK)
Julie BL Julie BL

Re: United Kingdom and islands

I live in Nantwich South Cheshire.  There are still real shops, fishmongers,, green grocers, butchers, bakers  plus weekly markets/ Farmers Markets.  There are also farms that sell direct and a good local brewery.  Nowhere (that I know of) to buy loose grains etc.
orinoco orinoco

Re: United Kingdom and islands

I live in Dorset. I buy from a farm shop for meat, fruit and veg. We have a  shop in Dorchester called Down to Earth which sells flour, honey, peanut butter, tahini and loads of dry goods unpackaged. You can refill your washing up liquid there and I am hoping I have persuaded her to start doing refillable shampoo and conditioner too. You can refill oil at Olives Et Al at Poundbury. Olives too of course! You can refill coffee at Finca in Dorchester. You can refill tea at the shop opposite The Fridge in Dorchester (forgot the name!) Hope this helps!
Wendy Wendy

Re: United Kingdom and islands

In Shrewsbury we have the Battlefield farm Shop where you can purchase some unpackaged vegetables. Not been brave enough to ask for meat and cheese to be place in jars yet. :o( . Lidl sell small baguettes and bread rolls unpackaged and some of the fruit also. Cottswold Dairy have organic milk delivered in bottles if you ask (it is lovely!). Where would I get cream in glass?. If there are any other places please let me know. I'm so keen to do this but the options seem so limited at the moment.
Stephanie Stephanie

Re: United Kingdom and islands

My house is stuck between supermarkets, no local market here, although we do have a farm shop at the garden centre, which stocks fruit/veg from abroad and has a large selection of American 'food'. This surprised me at first as I always thought farm shops were for local, seasonal produce. Anyway, no idea where we'd buy food in bulk but I've just found this website www.bigbarn.co.uk which lists local food producers/small businesses so I'm hoping to use them more and the supermarket less. The trick will be persuading my bf to take us there when it's convenient to stop at the supermarket on the way home from work! (I don't drive)
Here's to getting the veg garden going!
purpletrunks purpletrunks

Re: United Kingdom and islands

I live in cheltenham and am lucky enough to have a wholefoods market, which do bulk bins for dried goods and slices, tea coffee and wine/beer/cider glass refills. Worth checking out if you are driving up the m5Too expensive for veg though, ao I am looking for local options  farmers market only twice a month.
Fiftys1 Fiftys1

Re: United Kingdom and islands

I visit family in south hams area of Devon. There is a brilliant loose foods shop in Kingsbridge called 'Save a Packet'. Pretty much all of your loose food requirements are available there so I stock up on the goods I can't get in Wholefoods (l live close to Cheltenham). The shop in Devon doesn't object to you using your own bags but doesn't seem to be able to tare the bags so I make sure I use the very lightest possible.