Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

earthislife earthislife

Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

Since I'm in the process of graduating from Graduate school very soon, I have tons of paper work, articles, test etc. that I don't know what to do with. Will I be needing them for some kind of reference in the future? Im not sure. What do I do with all of those graduate and undergraduate text books? I've decluttered most of the things in my room, and had an "everything must go" sign flashing in my mind, but what do I do with all of that work? This is something that has been hard for to deal with mentally and physically while it takes up all this space in my life. I would really love any suggestions or advise!

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

This post was updated on .
First, Congratulations!!

Possibilities, after you get rid of the obvious:
1- Organize paperwork and scan onto computer, DVD
-or
2- Collate paperwork and take to a bookbinder (college towns always have at least one)

3- Sell the textbooks, except maybe classic reference books
-or
4- Keep everything a few years until you can decide what you really care about, then deal with it accordingly. Use a file box and leave either at a relative's or somewhere you won't trip over everyday.
-and, if you can
5- Ask someone already in your field what they found valuable to keep.

*A test of what to keep could be "how hard was it to find this____ [information, article, book, etc]" and "how soon will this become outdated?"
I suspect no one but you will need to ever see anything but MAYBE a thesis/dissertation, a work sample, and original work in support of a published article, etc., including data collection you may have done.

I think keeping original work can be fun! Not ZW, but I still have my Master's thesis (bound) from over 30 years ago. MY kids have gotten a kick out of reading it. Now, I could ditch it in a second! i did also keep other paperwork and books, even reference works, which I never once looked at, but which sat at my parents' home until the house was sold, after they passed away.

I'm sure others here will have ideas, too,

Best of luck!

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

Congrats as well!

I really like the suggestions Jay has mentioned and will just add one more. Those tests and class notes may prove valuable to a student who is still in the program. You may want to ask around and see if you can hand off these papers to someone else. Now is also the best time to update your resume/CV with your thesis and graduation info, while it's all still fresh in your mind.
Julie Julie

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

Congratulations!!

Great ideas so far. Just a quick question: Will you have access to an appropriate library? Through my job I am allowed access to several large medical libraries. They have way more information available than I could ever have in my own Library.

Jay has a really good point about giving it some time. From my experience, I used a couple of the resources during my first year out, but after that I haven't touched any of the material. I guess it depends on what field you are in. In the healthcare industry things change so quickly that most of my references were out dated within a year of my graduation. Plus everything is going digital so quickly. It's much easier for me to do an online search than to drag out all my old stuff.

I agree that it's hard to let things go that you have invested so much time and energy in. That's why I think you should just give it some time. In a year or two you'll probably look back and realize that you're not using any of it and you'll have some distance from the work.
Maureen Price Maureen Price

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

I just went through this process myself. I invested in a ScanSnap scanner (tiny little thing) and blazed through my school papers. Turned some of the (now scanned) papers in notepads and recycled the rest. I love this scanner because it automatically saves everything into a PDF so it's easy to read and search later on.
Maureen Price Maureen Price

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

I just went through this process myself. I invested in a ScanSnap scanner (tiny little thing) and blazed through my school papers. Turned some of the (now scanned) papers in notepads and recycled the rest. I love this scanner because it automatically saves everything into a PDF so it's easy to read and search later on.

Re: Undergrad/Graduate paperwork/articles?

FWIW, and I'm not saying this is the best option, Paperless has a bundled offer including a ScanSnap. I would suspect the interface would be super easy, though the only problems I'm having (Epson V30 scanner) is a glitch between my computer's OS and the Paperless version I have. I still like this software's organizational format....