The pillowcase is not working

12

Re: The pillowcase is not working

Off and on I've been storing lettuce as described at Salad-in-a-Jar, and it works! Problem is, just found a report of a study comparing E Coli within lettuce leaves, vacuumed vs regular. The conclusion seems to be that the bacterial count increases from being sucked into the leaves. That, and some concern about bacterial growth in an anaerobic environment makes me want to never store lettuce this way again. Oh well.
Now if I could find definitive answers about airtight storage environments for other fruit & veggies (e.g., strawberries).
pilar pilar

Re: The pillowcase is not working

lightly grease and flour a pan before using. this works the same as parchment! it is a french technique i learned at culinary school. make sure it is nicely coated with both- cocoa powder would work ok too. Good luck!

also for baking sheets I use silpats. Not sure how environmentally friendly they are but I got mine used. They act as a non-stick I use them for baking and roasting. can't imagine making a batch of cookies without one.
aprillizzybeth aprillizzybeth

Re: The pillowcase is not working

aprillizzybeth aprillizzybeth

Re: The pillowcase is not working

aprillizzybeth aprillizzybeth

Re: The pillowcase is not working

aprillizzybeth aprillizzybeth

Re: The pillowcase is not working

I can't get the link to post from my phone web browser... But if you go to amazon.com and search for "bread bag"... The one I use came up first.  It does have a plastic lining but it is the best bread storage I've found when you aren't freezing the bread.  It is easily wiped clean or you can wash the whole bag in the dishwasher on the top shelf.  It easily fits a loaf and I love it
steph in berkeley steph in berkeley

Re: The pillowcase is not working

a lot of parchment substitution can be done using simply the french method of buttering the pan and then flouring over the butter to create a surface that is non-stick.

April April

Re: The pillowcase is not working

I had the same problem with the pillowcase- the bread was just drying out :( I purchased a bread bag from Sur La Table- I believe they also sell them on Amazon.  The lining of the bag IS plastic... but the bag is washable in the dishwasher and definitely reusable.  Unfortunately- the only ways I have been able to find to keep my bread from drying out is either re-using plastic bags (not really a good choice as the bags only last so long) to store the bread, storing in  an air-tight plastic container, or using this bread bag (which also has a plastic lining).  I make my bread from scratch and buy all of the ingredients zero waste.  So- I figure if the container I am re-using has plastic- this is still a better option than either having dry un-edible bread, or buying bread that comes in a plastic bag.
HABGallardo HABGallardo

Re: The pillowcase is not working

What if you baked smaller portions? I have some friends who routinely bought frozen bread, but they typically got roll-sizes (basically nothing bigger than a demi-baguette). They would only thaw what they could eat that night (leftovers got thrown to birds). I've had the same challenge buying loaves or half-loaves, I just can't get through it fast enough before the mold sets in! I've since switched to smaller portions, or just thawing a few slices for sandwiches.
Linda L Linda L

Re: The pillowcase is not working

I freeze bread in muslin bags and then put those in insulated bags I bought on Etsy.  They work great and are reusable:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/41696363/large-reusable-bag-insulated-freezer-or?ref=shop_home_active&ga_search_query=insulated    I actually contacted the seller and had her make me larger bags for things like partially-baked pizza crusts and tortillas.  They are all color-coded, and my family has taken to this storage method really well.
Maggie Maggie

Re: The pillowcase is not working

I've been using a big cloth bag to get baguettes from my local bakery (so addicted to them!!). I have the counter staff cut them in half for me since my bag is small and then I just pop it in the freezer. I get a little freezer burn on the cut section, so my solution is to take out one half at a time, cut the freezer burned section off and eat it myself b/c I can't taste a difference, then cut the half into four smaller chunks and put it in a glass candy jar (actually, the same ones Bea has for laundry detergent). I never have a problem with the baguettes sticking around for longer than a week and a half (as I said, I'm addicted to them) and they are never dry or stale. I have just a normal freezer, but I think the key is to make sure you get baguettes that are really moist inside to begin with. I get them from a local bakery that has won awards for their bread, but I've gotten baguettes from some supermarkets that are stale and gross right off the shelf.
And I've also used the trick of running it under a little water and then sticking it in the oven for a little while if it gets stale and it revives it just fine.
And another tip if you are having trouble is that you can go to Whole Foods and ask for bread that is par-baked (partially baked) only. I used to work at a Whole Foods bakery and everything comes frozen in big boxes in a par-baked form. The staff at the store then sticks it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 to get it nice and crispy. You can do it yourself at home if you ask them for bread directly from the freezer and then just bake it as you use it. And it doesn't seem to matter if it gets un-frozen on the way home. Just re-freeze it and you are fine. When I can't get to the local bakery, I walk across the street to Whole Foods and ask for several mini baguettes that are frozen and stick 'em in my toaster oven to get them warm and crispy on the outside. It makes my apartment smell lovely and there is nothing like having fresh baked bread!

Re: The pillowcase is not working

Ana-I love my silpat baking mats for using instead of parchment paper or aluminum foil.  I use them for cookies, breads, pizza, roasting veggies, garlic potato wedges, breaded chicken, anything wrapped in pastry, etc.  I also use them when covering things in chocolate, to lay things on as the chocolate hardens instead of waxed paper.  I get so much use out of them, and they are still in perfect shape.  I think they will last a very long time and replace a lot of disposables!
roseporter roseporter

Re: The pillowcase is not working

Ali Ali

Re: The pillowcase is not working

For me, I use what my mother in law does.  I rinse my produce as soon as I get it and let it dry on my dish rack.  When its dry, I wrap it in a kitchen towel and store it in a casserole dish.  Kale, romaine, chard, and spinach have all responded well to this.  Herbs moderately so, and I have found better results putting them in water.  I do think it has something to do with the humidity - you can try adjusting the humidity in your crisper (on my cheap fridge the 'humidity adjustment' is moving a plastic bar to reveal or conceal a hole through which the fridge air can get through.
Marihelen Marihelen

Re: The pillowcase is not working

Ok, I tried the bags too with no success. My bread suffered from freezer burn and then dried out on the counter  in my wooden bread box. I think the fabric leeches the moisture from the bread. I have found the perfect solution for me - an old fashioned  tin 2 TIER CAKE & PIE CARRIER!  I keep my bread in the bottom cake compartment and rotate homemade cup cakes, cookies, biscuits , muffins, tortillas  or pie ( shocking I know) in the top pie compartment. My bread and baked goods are now always perfect. I have a glass cake stand I reserve for glorious cake. I haven't solved the freezer issue so we only buy one loaf of bread for the kids school lunches and I pack dinner leftovers for myself and hubby as we have access to a microwave at work.
Elizabeth Elizabeth

Re: The pillowcase is not working

I bought a bag for bread off of etsy made of LINEN and it keeps the bread very fresh.  Linen is supposed to be much better than cotton for keeping it fresh.
Jill Jill

Re: The pillowcase is not working

If it got hard (not stale) just warmer up in the oven.  Just drizzle water over it and warm it up.  Now if it is also stale...bird food or bread crumbs.  My husband makes bread every once in a while.  He makes a small loaf so it doesn't become waste.
12