The Junk Mail Battle

CMD CMD

The Junk Mail Battle

Here's a great resource for battling the "Junk Mail Monster."

https://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail/index.cfm#step2

Re: The Junk Mail Battle; Also Mail in General

I subscribed to Greendimes (since morphed into another company) when they first started up, and was very successful in reducing our junk mail to almost nothing. Stuff creeping in now are mostly catalogs from businesses we've ordered from. Easy to remove yourself from their lists by just calling or emailing.
Whenever possible, we also do ebilling, using a third party billpay service. No paper, no need to even keep bills electronically as there are 5 year online records, and I get a CD once a year with everything on it. I've also "turned off" paper billing, statements, etc. wherever possible.
Paper billing still is a fact of life especially medical, but I pay online or by phone. Haven't used a check in about 5 years. Every time we see a Doc or use a service, I ask if they do online billing. Never hurts to ask, eventually they may figure out a way.
I've also asked smaller businesses about PayPal, or ask them to send a paper bill, if they must, directly to my billpay service, who scans and email me when they get it. I then pay through them, i.e., THEY issue a paper check. Makes record keeping so much easier.
There are many days we get no mail at all, which helps with the paper monster.
There's a new service which may give the USPS a run for its money called Zumbox. They essentially create an electronic POBox associated with your physical address. Good news: may be less paper mail, bad news: businesses they work with will now have access to your email address. Easier to delete electronic mail, though.

I'm surprised Bea still gets DVDs from Netflicks as you can get instant downloads through a DVR, Roku, or (I think) on your computer. With 2 cords you can hook up a computer to a TV and view your computer on the "big" screen. I do this with our laptop. Easy Peasy.

<sorry for the long winded post, but hope this gives someone some ideas>
Julie Julie

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

Thanks for the link! I am seriously annoyed with junk mail!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it is because I am now actually aware of the amount of trash they send me or if it because I am calling on every piece of paper that comes into my house, but I am beyond irritated. I go out to the mailbox everyday all fired up and then I curse the whole way back to the house. They keep telling me that I'm off the list and to just give it a couple of months and it will stop. But seriously, I need my instant gratification!! Can anyone verify that the mail will really stop coming? I don't believe it!
CMD CMD

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

Honestly, I've seen a vast reduction in my mail in the last few weeks. It's reduced by about half. I'm having to recycle/compost/send back about 2-4 pieces of mail daily at this point (this is as much as I get anymore). But literally, I'm receiving no more credit card offers. *That* makes me so happy...we got a good dozen a week for sure.

Karin Karin

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

Julie,

I am new here, but not new to many of the topics being discussed. Three times one year, I called EVERY SINGLE COMPANY that mailed us anything we did not wish to receive. Two of those times were close together (spring or early summer) and I saw a reduction about a month later (after the second calling frenzy). It does take time. Then, I did it again in the Fall.

For five years, it worked WONDERFULLY!!!! I could get the mail once a week and our box was not crammed full. Our box is slightly smaller than a dress shirt box. It was just partially filled. Soooo nice!!!!!

Apparently, though, the limit of bliss is five years. LOL  It has recently begun being full in less than a week. I have to get the mail twice a week now and I am not happy about it. Too much waste and too much time spent on junk mail. I need to start my calling campaign again.
Julie Julie

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

I'm so glad that some people are having success with this! It's very encouraging! I am still battling away every day.  I have noticed a decrease. They FINALLY stopped sending the Merchandizer which is basically a mini newspaper. That helps quite a bit. Once the pennysaver stops I'll be in much better shape. :)
At Home At Home

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

I was reading the paper (I live at home with my parents who like to read it, though I am slowly convincing them to switch to reading it online) and I came across this article for action line about how this one person went about getting rid of junk mail.

"how to get rid of junk mail; I too had the same problem with Chase bank.
Sending back their own material in the prepaid envelope did no good. I was getting five of these prequalified offers every week.
I then put a paver brick in a priority mailbox, provided for free by the post office.
After putting their junk and a brick in the box, I then put their postage paid envelope on the box and sent it back to them priority mail.
That worked. I have not received an offer from Chase in several months.
As a bonus, the post office made a few bucks handling the brick."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/columns/ci_18146147

I thought some of you might enjoy reading this, as you can understand the persons frustration with junk mail.

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

HahaHa!
I just returned an *offer* from Neilsen ratings, actually 2 separate mailings from them, in the same envelope. I included the two, crisp new One Dollar bills, and wrote in BIG letters "NO" wherever seemed appropriate. Should work, maybe some letter opener at Neilsen will keep the $2 "gift" :-)))
MyWasteLessLife (Steph) MyWasteLessLife (Steph)

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

Hi Jay,

Sorry this isn't an answer reply...I have a question. You don't happen to be Jay Shafer, do you?
I'm just curious as you seem to be quite a regular on the forum, and that made me curious as to whether you're the tiny house Jay...

Regards,
Stephanie
mywastelesslife.blogspot.com
Stephanie mywastelesslife.blogspot.com eithereality.blogspot.com

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

No ;-))), but thanks! Not that creative :-)

His houses are REALLY cool, and have envisioned myself happily living in one .....  there's a true minimalist. Gonna ramble for a millisec: the other homes I find really interesting are shipping container homes. I had early on seen them as shelter for the homeless, chronic and post disaster, but they've become pretty elaborate.
Both brilliant ideas.

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

ME TOO!!! I love the shipping container home idea, as well as the Tiny Houses. I like anything modular and reconfigurable: homes, furniture, etc.

Alas, I also fall for most ingenious multipurpose gadgets I see -- I figure the inventors deserve my money for having such a brilliant idea. I try to be discriminating, but some of it does become clutter.

But it explains why I like bandanas and baking soda so much!

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

AMEN, Wrennerd!
I like some of the older, new-to-me clever household gadgets, too: a Squeezo, Vitamix.... All very scarily tempting multi-taskers, and clutter magnets, expensive, ugh. Thus my attraction to ZW and a need to keep hearing from folks about simplifying and creatively multitasking *singular* items in your homes.

Re: The Junk Mail Battle

I used the link on this web site that Bea recommends and went through a number of steps in May. Our mailbox is back to only needing emptying once a week. Ah, bliss!!!!!!! =)