Terra Cycle Zero Waste Boxes

Elizabeth Elizabeth

Terra Cycle Zero Waste Boxes

One of the things that our curbside recycling doesn't take is bottle caps.  And while I have reduced the amount of disposable packaging we use by quite a lot, we still end up with the plastic tops to our returnable glass bottled milk and the occasional tomato jar lid in winter.

Terra Cycle is now offering "zero waste boxes" where they send you a box with pre-paid shipping, and you fill it with the items you need recycled.  They have one for plastic and metal bottle caps here: https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/zero_waste_boxes/bottle-caps

What are your thoughts?

I have mixed feelings myself.  While it seems like this is a better solution than sending things to the landfill (which is where my plastic milk bottle caps were going), this is only accessible to people who can pay for it.

Re: Terra Cycle Zero Waste Boxes

They are really expensive! We've used one for packaging that ended up in our home and was impossible to recycle locally. It took over a year and a half to fill, and was a great psychological motivator to find alternatives. That part worked!
They've gotten even more expensive, though, so we're collecting in a box and will decide at some point whether to purchase, and to see how well we can reduce even further. Unfortunately, I think the ZW Chef is spot on when she suggests thinking of zero waste as in Calculus, where you can continually approach zero without actually ever achieving absolute ZW.
BTW, I'm still curious how they recycle these items, so would always recommend researching whether this is just a bit of "greenwashing".

Re: Terra Cycle Zero Waste Boxes

Not worth the money.  Worrying about "bottle caps" being recycled when you could be making much larger changes makes zero sense.