Taking responsibility for the waste from your purchases

Marie Barton Marie Barton

Taking responsibility for the waste from your purchases

I'm becoming a bit uncomfortable with the idea that you can say you're creating less waste if you simply leave it behind for someone else to deal with e.g. shoe boxes.  I don't like the idea of wearing preowned shoes, not something like trainers, so I would buy new.  At least if you take the box home you know it will be recycled correctly.  If you leave it behind, what happens to it then?

Re: Taking responsibility for the waste from your purchases

I feel the same way about wanting to make sure my waste gets recycled.  i buy new socks, shoes, underwear, and other things when we need to replace.  I take my waste to make sure it gets recycled.

However, I believe that Bea isnt claiming to create less waste by leaving it at the store or shipping it to the manufacturer.  It's a form of activism-- a sort of act of protest or something to discourage uneccessary packaging.

I think I'm with you I. The end, though.  I think the odds are pretty high that any shoe box left behind would just be a burden to an employee who has no power to change the way the shoes are shipped to the store.  And shipping waste to the manufacturer sure wastes a lot of fuel.

tinalanq01 tinalanq01

Re: Taking responsibility for the waste from your purchases

I'm thinking that once you buy the shoes you want at the store you can just recycle the shoebox and the paper if you get extra stuffing that comes along with the shoes. Like Bea says "recycle what you can".

Tina
Emy Emy

Re: Taking responsibility for the waste from your purchases

Tarry before you buy things. Check if you are really in need of a particular item. Avoid too much plastic packaging. Even small steps matter and is valuable