Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

KC KC

Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

Because I haven't had time to grocery shop in the past week, my wonderful mother let me know she was doing a run and offered to pick up a few produce items for me. One item on my list was bananas. Normally the grocery store chain I shop at (Sprouts in Southern California) has a lot of no-packaging produce and bulk bins (of which I use my tarred bags at no problem).  Today, the bananas she picked up for me were organic (of course) but had the most ridiculous amount of packaging (and ANY packaging for that matter) that I got so annoyed and snapped! Two stickers, a sticky ribbon wrap AND plastic wrap around the stems. I mean come on!

So, I peeled off all the offending packaging, stuffed it in a reused envelope and wrote a letter to Dole explaining my anger at this ridiculous packaging and how and why they need to change this.

Has anyone else done this? Sent packaging back to the company? I'd love to hear if you have and their responses.

Re: Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

You're concerned about a two-inch piece of plastic but you buy organic?  In what world does this make any sense?  Why are you even eating bananas since the fruit is genetically modified even if it's grown organically?   Have you ever seen a photo of what a non-modified banana used to look like?  Or an apple that has not been genetically modified? I mean the precursors to what we buy today. (I personally can't wait for the GMO Arctic White apples to hit the stores, I'd love to pack apple slices and not have them turn brown.)

There's no evidence that organic produce is better for you.  But there is solid evidence that it's harder on the environment.  Yields are lower and since organic produce is more scarce, there are higher transportation costs associated with moving it around.  There's also the issue of pesticide use for organics. There's evidence the pesticides used for organic produce are worse than those used on conventionally grown food.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

If you truly cared about the planet, you'd care about how to feed the world's population, especially those in areas ravaged by capitalism and imperialism and where famines are common and there is a dependence on large yields and GMO crops that are more hardy and can be genetically modified to the needs of the population (examples are vitamin A rice  and bananas modified to carry the hep B vaccine).

I'd be embarrassed to buy organic produce. Every time I go to the market and the produce guy says "sorry we're out of 'regular' cucumbers (or whatever) but there are organic ones available," I just leave. I'll wait until the conventional produce is back in stock.

It would behoove you and many other zero waste people to learn to read and evaluate peer-reviewed research on these topics so you can at least make informed decisions about buying. If you can't or won't do that, at least rely on reputable sources to make decisions instead of following hack sites like Mercola or "Food Babe."   Organic is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.  It caters to bourgeois elites in the imperialist core who have money to throw around and don't care about understanding the underlying science or evidence-based research about the harm of their choices.  They're as bad as the anti-vaxxers.
KC KC

Re: Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

Perhaps you should revaluate why you feel the need to attack someone you don't even know on a forum.

It would behoove you to educate yourself on having simple manners.

WeWantRefill.com

Interesting website, with an online petition (Thanx, KC).
Info/Link posted on Litterless.
KC KC

Re: WeWantRefill.com

Thanks so much Jay! Here's the direct link to the petition: https://wewantrefill.com/join/

Just scroll down and fill out. :)
Emy Emy

Re: Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

Many businesses use considerably more packaging than is necessary and they can greatly reduce their costs by conducting an analysis of their packaging needs.
There are many instances where a company's products can be shipped in bulk, thereby saving packaging as well as the labor of assembling the packaging, placing the product in the packaging, closing the packaging and the costs of the tape or adhesive used to close the packaging.
Responsible packaging can contribute a lot to well being of the ecosystem.
KC KC

Re: Taking A Stand Against Unnecessary Packaging

Well Said Emy!
Faith Terry-Doyle Faith Terry-Doyle

Looking for two people for an online interview about the forum for a University project

Hi there KC and others using this forum!

I'm doing a small research project about this really inspiring forum for a University group project. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to answer a few questions about your experiences of using the forum? Sorry to interrupt with this; I posted something about it last week but I've had no responses yet so I'm getting kind of desperate! It shouldn't last longer than 20 minutes and would need to be done sometime next week.

Many thanks,
Faith

P.S if you'd like more information about this feel free to email me: faith.rtd@live.co.uk