Summer - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

I am starting this category for each season for us to post recipes, resources, ideas...please share what works for you and your family, thanks!

Re: Summer - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

At the end of summer before the hard frost we always have an abundance of tomatoes. I had heard of a quick technique to store them indefinitely but uses freezer space.

Wash and dry fresh, ripe tomatoes

Line up tomatoes on tray which can fit in freezer with enough headroom

Score each tomato on the base (as opposed to where stem used to be) with a paring or steak knife in an 'X' and replace tomato on tray with base pointing up

Insert tray into freezer and freeze for 3-4 hours, or until solid

Transfer frozen tomatoes to freezer safe container (I use a 1/2 gal. mason jar I store on its side (which I do likewise for frozen green beans, peas, broccoli, corn kernels, berries...).

As need arises, remove and either put directly into soup, chili, etc. frozen then break up in pan. Or, thaw to chop then add to your dish. If you wait and thaw before using you can easily remove skin and seeds by just giving each tomato a squeeze catching the tomato as skin slips off and the squeezing more over a bowl to remove seeds and juice.

Great way to add the taste of summer to those simmered winter standards.

Manu Manu

Re: Summer - Seasonal ZW Food Recipes

Hi everybody,
Thank you for sharing your great recipes, they all look so tasty.
I hope I can help you with the organization:
whenever I have time, before I start cooking I already plan what I will do with the food waste (orange skins, eggshells, coffee grounds, water,...). I realized I save time and I'm more effective in reusing / recycling. I use to make the waste management part of the cooking process.
For example whenever I crack an egg I pay attention not to destroy it (I became quite good), I put them in a small pot with some water and boil it for 5 minutes. This way when I finish my  cooking the eggshell is ready to be reused as a small vase to sow my seeds. The boiling water has time to become cold and be put in my big watering can where I store used water for my plants. If I don't have seeds or I have some pieces left because the cracking wasn't that good I put them in a cup and then directly in vases or in my compost bin.
I wish your meal preparation put a smile on your face!