Struggling

Janette Janette

Struggling

Sometimes I really struggle with this lifestyle. Is it really zero waste if, in order to utilize toilet paper with fully recyclable packaging, I must purchase a brand that has such low quality I have to use three times as much? Is it really helping to have to choose between makeup that has recyclable containers and that which contains non-toxic ingredients and is safe for my body? Should I have to accept low quality products? Should I really have to choose between the health of my body and the health of the environment?

I wish companies would wake up!
Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife) Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife)

Re: Struggling

I understand and I'm sure many of us echo your frustration. Personally, I have started to take inventory of and list the changes I've made and those I have yet to make, and/or those I am teetering about---such as buying an odd product that has plastic packaging when I cannot find an alternative.

The trouble is I was feeling guilty so much of the time, and never sure about my decisions on what to buy, because the market is a confusing place, and if you haven't clarified all of your decisions ahead of time, it can take you over. So I realized that I needed to consider my current purchasing/lifestyle choices and put them in writing (or at least get them straight in my mind, which can be tricky), as far as what I find acceptable and not acceptable. Here are a few of my examples...

I will not buy packaged products if non-packaged alternatives are readily available in my area.
I will allow the purchase of quality toilet paper, use it responsibly ;) and continue to look for quality ZW alternatives, as the market evolves.
I will buy products in packaging if the need is urgent, but will continue to seek ZW alternatives for repeated use items.
If I forget to bring shopping bags, I will use a cart and not accept plastic or paper bags, etc, when possible.
I will give myself two months to find a ZW alternative to the product using a plastic container that I currently buying regularly at the supermarket.

I know the companies need to improve. But in the mean time, don't drive yourself to brink of madness. Determine, if you haven't already, what you are willing to live with...and what you are not willing to accept in terms of inconvenience, and/or that your argument may be valid and perhaps choosing the quality TP is ultimately a better choice for you and the environment.

Hope this helps ;)

Janette Janette

Re: Struggling

Thanks, Steph! Your comments are very helpful. It is all about progress, and keeping goals in mind or on paper is a great idea. All these changes I want to make aren't going to happen overnight. I need to focus on what I am doing differently rather than what I haven't done yet; for example, I no longer use facial tissues but use hankies instead. That's something!

Janette

On Oct 18, 2012 2:12 PM, "Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife) [via Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://forum.994912.n3.nabble.com/Struggling-tp4025126p4025129.html
To unsubscribe from Struggling, click here.
NAML
Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife) Steph in Berkeley (mywastelesslife)

Re: Struggling

Glad to hear it, Janette! We'll get there...progress, not perfection :-)