Storing leftover veggies, etc.

Mau Mau

Storing leftover veggies, etc.

I've been slowly reducing my kitchen waste by using jars and shopping in bulk - haven't put anything in the trash for 4 days now, a new record!

One thing I miss though are plastic baggies, for storing diced onions, half a lemon or tomato, etc. I suppose I could put them in a jar, but that takes a lot of room and also leaves quite a bit of air in contact with the cut produce. I really prefer the plastic bags where I can squish all the air out and end up with a very small item. Any ideas for reusable substitutes for small ziploc bags?
Slushy Slushy

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

This may sound crazy, but I sometimes just turn the tomato or lemon upside down on a lid or plate...covers the exposed portion. You can sometimes find small glass containers that are square that have lids. Haven't seen them in a while but you could find them online.
Slushy
em em

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

You can buy some little plastic stretchy covers (they look like mini shower caps) for covering miscellaneous small food items. I put half an onion, or small leftover in a glass ramekin and then cover with the little stretchy cover. They are still made of plastic, but are reusable MANY times. If needed you can wash them gently. They are available through the Vermont Country Store in a set of various sizes. I found mine in my local hardware store.
Slushy Slushy

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

You can also purchase reuseable handmade bowl/food covers off of Etsy.com. Just search bowl coozie or bowl cover under handmade. I plan on getting some but will have to work that into the budget.
Slushy
Mau Mau

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I also found reusable sandwich baggies on etsy.com and amazon.com. Haven't ordered them yet, but they look promising.
Julie Julie

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

How is it that I had never heard of Etsy.com? Thanks so much for the tip! Such cute stuff!
Slushy Slushy

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

Etsy is a great place to find jars, and handmade reuseable options. We have two Etsy shops and it is such a friendly site!
Slushy
Jenny Jenny

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

How about baby food jars?
Mau Mau

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

Baby food jars would be about the right size, I think - though finding them may take awhile, no babies in my house right now ;-)

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

We use the small Anchor Hocking or Pyrex round bowls (1/2 cup size maybe?) with lids and put the cut side down for half a lemon, etc.

Re: Storing leftover veggies, etc.

I use the "cut-side-down" method as well, particularly for half a watermelon.

I am also discovering that often a plate will fit over a bowl (large plates for large bowls, dessert plates for smaller bowls) in lieu of a lid. And a second plate can sit upside down over the original plate if saving, for instance, someone's dinner.