Storing Bread

Joy Joy

Storing Bread

I can not keep my bread fresh unless I use a plastic bag. Cloth bags make it go stale overnight. Paper bags same thing, and cramming it in a glass jar doesn't seem like a good idea either, since I can't find a jar that has a large enough mouth for it. Any suggestions?
Reed Reed

Re: Storing Bread

My mother-in-law always stores her bread in the microwave.  Maybe worth a try?  :)

Re: Storing Bread

Old fashioned cake tins work great. We've used them for years, with bakery fresh bread (i.e., no preservatives). We do freeze what wouldn't be used in ~3 days, but you shouldn't expect bread to stay fresh any longer than that.

Re: Storing Bread

Also, consider moving this post to the appropriate category ("Kitchen") so can be more easily found.

Re: Storing Bread

Is this loaf sliced or whole? I just turn my whole loaf cut side down on cutting board then put a deep enough pan on top as a lid. Keeps crust crunchy and that first slice while a bit dry is still edible.
Ginny Ginny

Re: Storing Bread

I've been storing my bread in the Abeego (beeswax wraps) , and it works amazingly well! I buy really "hard" bread and it usually is hard within day or two after buying it and putting it in cloth bags, but i just bought the abeego wraps and it works so well. Really great for storing cheese too!
AlexEverette AlexEverette

Re: Storing Bread

I save brown paper bags that certain things come in and use them specifically for storing bread. They can be used over and over again and when it's finally time to retire them, they can be thrown in the fire kindling pile unlike plastic! Oh, they keep light from hitting the bread which makes it last longer, too.
Megean Weldon Megean Weldon

Re: Storing Bread

I wrap mine in a cloth then store it in a popcorn tin. It keeps it fresh for a week which is all I need. If I know I won't be eating it within a week, I store half in the freezer and dethaw when I'm ready to eat it.

Re: Storing Bread

Another option which I found at a thriftstore is to use a roasting pan with a lid. I had 6 biscuits/scones which lasted 5 days (by then they were eaten!). I had them in one layer, no cloth or wrapping. The lid has an adjustable vent which I kept closed. Contained any crumbs and kept fresh. Try repurposing your roasting pan (ours is about 4" deep and 5" wide and 10" long.