Stenciling the Tare on Bulk Bags

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has created their own tare and item number labels for the cloth bulk bags. I tried out Bea's suggestion of stenciling with acrylic paint since they were items I already had on hand, but I'm having trouble getting the paint to stay neatly within the stenciled line. The zero I painted on looks more like an eight:( Does anyone have suggestions on stenciling techniques or perhaps a different way to label cloth? Thanks!

Re: Stenciling the Tare on Bulk Bags

When I stencil, I fill in the gaps freehand. Perhaps that is still possible and will make your 0/8 look like a '0' for sure?

Re: Stenciling the Tare on Bulk Bags

Oh, I hit reply too soon...

Also, when stenciling, there are tips and tricks (you may already know these):
~ securely hold the stencil down close to where you are painting all along the way (if your fingers don't end up with paint on them, then you probably got some paint underneath the stencil...LOL)
~ use a stipple brush and "pounce" it
~ use less paint than you think you need...better to do a few thin layers, than to use too much paint from the get-go

Re: Stenciling the Tare on Bulk Bags

This post was updated on .
Good tips, Karin. Thanks:) I definitely used too much paint the first time around. I'd forgotten how quickly acrylic paint dries (vs. oil paints). Ended up with globs of paint at the edges. For my next try, I think I'll retrace the stencil onto a piece of contact paper (found some leftover scraps of it) and apply thinner layers of paint.

Update: The contact paper and painting on thinner layers worked out much better. I also noticed that the edges came out cleaner when I removed the stencil within minutes of applying the paint instead of letting the paint dry, then peeling off the stencil. I'm saving the contact paper stencil to reuse later, in case I get more cloth bags.