Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

123

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

We also use the Ecodent floss, Amy. Nice compromise, IMO.

The same company makes Terradent toothbrushes, which I also find a good compromise. You purchase one handle per person (pick a color each persons loves!) and then replace the heads as needed. I found them at a local discount store for very reasonable prices. I don't recall the handle price -- comes with 2-3? heads. The refill heads were 99 cents for three and come with cardboard for some of the packaging, which can be composted and/or recycled.

Marrena Lindberg Marrena Lindberg

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

Great tips on floss and things!  Maybe you all should double post that info in the Bathroom section for people hunting around for dental care tips.

I bit the bullet and got a compost bin and kitchen compost thingummy.  I realize I still need to get a pitchfork to turn the compost, but I'm on my way.

Pretty much my only trash now is plastic bags that my meat comes in and non-compostable food waste.  I've started using a plastic container lined with the well-rinsed plastic bags to put my non-compostable food waste in during the week when I'm alone.

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

Hey Marrena, how's your compost growing? Probably too early to see results, but getting in the groove?
Marianne Marianne

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

I find that my kids use less toilet paper when we use 1 ply rather than 2 ply.  We always buy Scott.

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

So. another "obvious" solution, when the splatter screen doesn't/won't work: stale bread. Old trick that I'd forgotten about.
Alex Alex

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

Oh Jay, thank you! I wasn't sure that the splatter was going to remove enough oil from my bacon strips for my carbonara pasta! so, using bread to absorb the oil, and then... compost the bread...I need a compost!!
Can clean dish clothe be used to absorb the extra oil from bacon? I wonder how it would wash afterward...We're not supposed to let oil go in the water system though, are we? I have a septic system, and we do collect the extra oil from the pan in a can...but then throw the can away when full. That too goes in the compost? Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to this, but so very excited about the changes ahead of me!

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

This post was updated on .
Glad it worked for you!
Bea has mentioned making soap from bacon fat, so that's an option, but in reading up on the process, have to admit it scares the bejeebers out of me. You use lye... ick.

I would think large volumes of grease/oil would be bad for composting, but maybe the more experienced folks here can address this. I'm sure there is wildlife out there who'd love bacon fat soaked bread :-))
Which reminds me: suet cakes!! Bacon fat is fine to use: http://www.nature.net/forums/load/bird/msg121300148212.html?4
__
I wouldn't use cloth, it'd take so much soap to clean, it would seem wasteful to me. Again, others may have different opinion.

Re: Spring cleaning is done and I'm ready to go!

Re: Ketchup, there’s a recipe for that (from One Green Planet)

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-sugar-free-organic-ketchup/
123