Sour cream

janetlynne janetlynne

Sour cream

Is there any way to get sour cream that isn't in a plastic container?

Re: Sour cream

This post was updated on .
Heavy cream plus cultured buttermilk. Look online -these instructions for example- for exact proportions, instructions on how to make. Buttermilk, btw, can be perpetuated by adding old cultured buttermilk to fresh whole milk (again, lots of online instructions).
I'd use real, cultured buttermilk vs simply adding lemon juice to milk. You'll have a better tasting, longer lasting product.
Elizabeth Elizabeth

Re: Sour cream

Yes, definitely second this.  We are lucky enough to have buttermilk in returnable glass, and I have made my own sour cream and creme fraiche easily using it.
janetlynne janetlynne

Re: Sour cream

I haven't been able to find buttermilk or heavy cream in glass containers in my area.

Re: Sour cream

This post was updated on .
Probably doesn't make sense to make your own, except for the [much better] flavor. The only other kinda waste free option would be to find a salad/veg/potato bar at a market which has sour cream set out, or try and talk a counter person - where they use sour cream in a dish they prepare- into spooning some out for you … that, of course, is a stretch, but worth asking about.

ETA:
Another possibility would be to experiment with vegan "sour cream" which can be made [for example] with cashews, salt, lemon juice and water. Again, do a search -you'll find recipes, variations.

Re: Sour cream

I've made homemade sour cream using cashews, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. It'll last a couple of weeks in the fridge. Just  blend it all up. No cholesterol or animal fat.
WundaWomanWellness WundaWomanWellness

Re: Sour cream

I don't bother with sour cream anymore, since I've managed to substitute Greek yogurt for it without anyone noticing. I had brought a large bucket of Greek Yogurt, but mostly I continue to make my own like this:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/09/diy-homemade-greek-yogurt-recipe.html