Should I fix or replace the roof?

ChristopherAustin ChristopherAustin

Should I fix or replace the roof?

 What's your opinion on slate roof shingles?
I know that it can last much longer than other roofing types if properly maintained. The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a house with slate roof shingles. I have the choice of restoring the original roof or going with a new asphalt roof. Other homes in the neighborhood of similar age have both types. I like the idea of restoring the original roof, but it could be cost-prohibitive. I also wonder if the average buyer might be more comfortable with a shiny new asphalt roof?
I know I need to get a roofer to take a look before any final decision but I wanted to get your suggestions as well.