Shampoo suggestions?

Colleen Colleen

Shampoo suggestions?

Bea, I have been trying to eliminate shampoo bottles, but find the shampoo bars way to greasy. Do you have any suggestions?
Reed Reed

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

Hi Colleen,
I had trouble finding a shampoo bar that worked for me too.  I happened upon "J.R. Ligget's Old Fashioned Bar Soap," at a local health food store and I really like it.  Before that I was filling my own containers of bulk shampoo from my co-op.  Hope that helps, good luck  :)
Cobalt Cobalt

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

I use the squeaky green bar from Lush which is great and has a really nice lather.  I don't find it greasy or drying.  They have other shampoo bars but I haven't tried them.

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

Check out Trish' October 29 entry "my no poo experience' above in this list...very interesting routine based on very little castile soap and regular hair brushing.

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

I haven't found a shampoo bar yet that I like, and I've tried many. I haven't yet tried the soap Bea recommends because I won't shop at Whole Foods, but maybe I'll see it at Rainbow or somewhere else sometime.

I removed the labels from the unscented shampoo bottle I was using and when that was used up, I had my hairdresser start refilling it with unscented shampoo. Since the pH of (liquid) shampoo is the same as that of your skin, you can use it as soap, thereby saving you from buying a bar of soap. I figured the plastic bottle wasn't going away in the landfill any time soon, so I just kept it. I use my shampoo for my hair and my body. Your hairdresser or any beauty salon has gallons of product sitting around and would probably be happy to refill your own containers. I only use unscented products, which are difficult to find in bulk.
Suzanne Suzanne

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

I tried a load of options (including baking soda, bar soap and clay) before landing on rye flour.  Sounds odd, I'm sure, but it's the best thing for my fine, straight, hennaed hair by a long shot.  I'm no scientist but there is something about it being close to the hair's natural PH that stops all that cuticle opening and closing that loses colour every time.

It's so great that I don't even need conditioner.  I just left it air dry and then brush through.  With some patience I've dropped from washing every other day to just once a week.

I get bulk fine-ground organic rye flour locally.  Put a few tablespoons in a cup and add enough warm water to make it a sort of soupy consistency.  Then just dump on your head, massage in and rinse out.  Job done.  Six months in I have shinier, healthier hair.  Not quite as much volume as baking soda but a lot better than the dank, drab results I got from bar soap.

Might be worth a shot.
Keen Keen

Re: Shampoo suggestions?

I've tried all sorts of alternatives but nothing has worked quite like plain baking soda mixed with a little water in a cup and dump on my head in the shower. If you do it right, it should feel slick and start to even lather a little. If not, then you're not using enough or your water is too hard.