Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

otravelmom otravelmom

Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

I purchased the JB Liggett (SP?) Shampoo Bar and like the way it lathers but it leaves my hair kind of "Coated" I tried rinsing it with Cider Vinegar but didn't help too much. Any other suggestions

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

That is exactly the same problem I have with Castile soap. Vinegar helps, but it overconditions my baby fine hair, leaving it flat. The best thing I've tried is rinsing with baking soda mixed with water, and working it into the roots. It feels pretty harsh, though, so I only use it about once a week.

Lately, I've been using baby shampoo with the occasional baking soda rinse. I know that baby shampoo contains ingredients I should avoid, but so far it is the only thing I can find that rinses fairly cleanly and doesn't weigh my hair down or gunk it up....
endearing endearing

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Does anyone else have any rinse ideas? I am allergic to vinegar so I can't use a vinegar rinse.

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Have you tried using a lemon juice rinse? Easiest way to apply is to massage half of a cut lemon directly onto the hair.

I have fine hair like Wrennerd's, and the vinegar and lemon juice both flattened out my hair's texture. I switched to a bulk volumizing shampoo and conditioner from Griffin's Remedy.
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

I have had good success with my shampoo bars with a lemon juice rinse.  My hair felt good when wet with vinegar, but it was too drying.  I get my hair wet, rub shampoo bar down the length and ends but only go up to half an inch from the roots.  My scalp does not like the shampoo bar, so I have been using Burts Bees shampoo on my scalp. Then rinse well with water.  I have a 1/2 liter glass pitcher I squeeze the juice of one lemon into then fill the rest up with water.  Then I pour the lemon juice over my hair and scalp and get the ends.  And I don't rinse it out!!

I wrap lighty in a flour sack towel, (I have curly hair) then put leave in conditioner on the ends and I am done!  No gel, or curl cream, or anything!  My hair stays curly for days.  I have been washing my hair once to twice  a week all winter with this routine and my hair and scalp love it!
endearing endearing

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Doesn't lemon juice lighten your hair also? Not sure I want my hair to be lighter.
otravelmom otravelmom

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will try the lemon juice. If it does lighten... perhaps it will save on my every 8 week hair appt. (lol)
MTNgirl MTNgirl

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

I have medium brown hair and I haven't noticed any hair lightening.   But it is winter and I am not outside much to bleach my hair.  The only light hairs are the few scattered greys!

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

The lemon juice will lighten hair if you leave it in and add heat/sunlight to it. Maybe diluting it before applying and rinsing thoroughly will help prevent this from happening? I also have dark hair, and in the week I used the lemon juice, I did not notice any lightening.

Have you tried Lush's conditioning bar? It's the conditioner version of their shampoo bar. I haven't tried it myself, but it's another ZW alternative to bottled conditioner.
Alexa Alexa

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

So, I love the way my shampoo bar washes and the way my hair feels after.

 My problem is my roots. The hair from my scalp to about one inch down the shaft is incredibly gooey looking after washing. It feels fabulous and silky, but just looks matted, greasy and like I haven't washed my hair in over a week. This lasts about 2 days after a wash, and then the texture evens out and my hair looks great.

I've tried using less shampoo, tried using more, tried a vinegar rinse, which helped a lot. But it's still not making my hair "look" clean.

Suggestions, advice? Help!

Also, I had horrible dandruff (incipient yeast infection in my scalp from living in the tropics) and the Legget's bar has totally cleared it up when prescription anti-fungal, anti-yeast shampoos proved ineffective. So, I'd love to be able to keep using the bar.
Catherine Catherine

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Has anyone had luck with liquefying their shampoo bar? That is, grating it and dissolving it in water to make a liquid shampoo. I have great access to bulk shampoo at my grocery store, but it still involves the plastic jug it is shipped in. So, I have been trying unwrapped shampoo bars, but really dislike the waxy residue they leave. Rinsing with vinegar has helped, but I really dislike adding one more step and more time to my shower routine, especially since rinsing out the residue takes so long. So, I thought if I made a liquid shampoo it might help. Any tips or experience with this?

Thanks!

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

I have grated soap and added warm water to make liquid hand soap from bar soap-- the recipe I used called for glycerin which I wouldn't normally buy.  Somebody at work had a bottle that he didn't need any more, so I borrowed a little.

I made two gallons of liquid hand soap.  It worked just fine, but had a snotty texture and clogged up my refillable pump.  I ended up putting it in a bottle with a dish soap-type top and we used it to clean out my son's potty chair during potty training.  It left A LOT of soap scum.  It was less than ideal.

I think the waxy feeling probably has something to do with hard water.  The reason why typical shampoos don't leave soap scum in your hair is that they are detergents, not soap, and they contain things like EDTA To prevent hard water build-up.

Have you considered skipping the shampoo bar and going "water-only"?  The blog Paris-to-go has a great recent entry about going water-only a year ago.  I have gone water-only + occasional castile soap + henna once a month and I am happy with my results.
Catherine Catherine

Re: Shampoo Bar after Rinse?

Thanks, Trish, I will look into water only. Bummer about the shampoo bar residue. I was so hopeful.