Saving Money

12
randolf26 randolf26

Re: Saving Money

Safe a penny now and you have a dollar tomorrow.

You need to know how much you make and try to get along with half. That way you will have alway a better chance that someone not saving up.

Re: Saving Money

I sure would love it if the zero waste crowd started learning about science and understanding that "organic" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I'd be embarrassed to buy organic food. Organic crop yields are far lower than conventionally grown produce, especially in places like Africa where food insecurity is widespread.  Organic crops generally need more pesticides, not fewer, in order to thrive. And increased pricing of organic food means only the bourgeoisie can afford the stuff.

Stop buying into anti-science claims. It is not hard to find interpretation of scientific studies on line that use language for laypeople to understand. Many reputable websites will break down what you need to know about the bogus claims about organic food. And just stop buying the stuff. Stop trying to reach for this "goal" of buying organic if you are already financially stretched. You'd be wasting your money.

I am not sure where and when ZW went off the rails and became anti-science. Next they'll be telling us not to vaccinate kids and trying to convince people to use cabbage leaves to heal a fracture.
Anna Anna

Re: Saving Money

This post was updated on .
No offence, but it's pretty obvious that @coldswim is 14-years-old...calling for a marxist revolution and making all sorts of random claims like  "organic produce is a gimmick". XD sounds like a bored kid to me.

For your peace of mind, i read the entire 90 pages of Canadian Organic Certification guidelines, which is mandatory to receive the logo and, besides being boring, they are VERY strict. For example, you cannot use a machine that was used on a conventional field. You either need to replace the parts that come in contact with the food or clense them in prescriptive manner. All stages from field to consumer must preserve integrity of the product (i.e. You cant grow organically and then start spraying it at the warehouse). A very limited number of pesticides are allowed to be used (there is a list) and the guidelines state that they are "natural". I didnt research them...but many bad-rep substances are on the ban list (there is a blacklist of what may not be used).
What i can tell you for sure is that organic agriculture is more labour-intensive. Instead of spraying with herbicide, you need to hire ppl to pull/cut the weeds out. Not only is it good for the Earth, it creates jobs (where people dont get sick from inhaling poison btw).

PS. I'm not sure that what African folks already suffering from immunity-related health problems (like HIV) need is poisonous franken-foods that cause cancer and make them sicker to solve their problems...
PPS. two of my good friends are agriculture students at the University of Guelph (#1 in Canada formagriculture program) and they are 100% behind organic agricultural practices

Re: Saving Money

Could you have proven my point any more clearly? Seriously - "frankenfoods?"  Who is 14 years old here?  If you don't understand basic genetic modification of plants to yield higher crop yields, hardier plants, and qualities that consumers want or demand, or qualities that make these crops more environmentally protective, nobody can help you. This isn't rocket science here.

And I don't give two shits about what the Canadian Board of Consumerist Organic Dribble says. Organic foods started out as seed modifications of what you eat today.  Ever seen a banana that is a precursor to what you are eating?  An ear of corn? A tomato?  And  by the way, the genetic modification for seedless tomatoes has been successful, which should help the so-called dwindling bee populations that I'm sure all you anti-science folks rant about. Forget that bee populations are actually on the rise, but hey, seedless tomatoes won't require bees. But I'm sure you'll still refuse to eat them. You folks are so full of logical contradictions, I'm surprised  your heads haven't exploded from all the cognitive dissonance you have to hold at one time.

If you put your money where your mouth is, you wouldn't be eating ANY produce. None. Because all of it at one time or another has been modified, much of it genetically modified.

Post citations for the scientific basis of capitalism. Oh that's right, you can't, because anybody with a modicum of intelligence can shoot holes in your bankrupt theory until it's shredded.
12