Sanitary Products

Lorac Lorac

Sanitary Products

Sanitary protection accounts for a lot of the paper waste in our household and there's no substitute. Tampons are in no way sufficient and composting any of these things just isn't gonna happen. So what do you do? Burn them?
Scott Scott

Re: Sanitary Products

Hi - This is Bea's husband, Scott. Bea uses the "diva cup" - I believe she has written about this topic on one of her blog posts...thx
Mandy Mandy

Re: Sanitary Products

Have you considered washable cloth pads? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloth_menstrual_pad
Jessica Jessica

Re: Sanitary Products

I make my own pads. They don't have the chemicals in them that can sometimes make your periods heavier and more painful.
cocomama cocomama

Re: Sanitary Products

Diva cup + luna pad = ZW! Both are available at Whole Foods
Emma Emma

Re: Sanitary Products

The washable pads are really wonderful and come in all sizes and in various materials. I prefer Momiji myself but there are a lot of brand to choose from.
Liz Liz

Re: Sanitary Products

My husband and I are trying to Zero Waste, but my 16 year old daughter is very skeptical, and refuses to accept that plastic is an issue.  But my biggest issue is with sanitary products.  Not only does it increase landfill, the pads are all individually wrapped.  My 25 year old daughter has embraced Zero Waste (as best she can while house-sharing with a stubborn, skeptical younger brother), and is now using a menstrual cup, but my younger daughter would freak out about using that!  Doubt she'll even consider cloth pads, and from memory, they are impossible to stop bunching up and being uncomfortable, unless worn woth a belt to hold them in place.  Any suggestions on cloth pads that don't need a belt or bunch up??
Lillie Lillie

Re: Sanitary Products

Have you seen the new period panties called THINX?  they are supposed to work really well.  I have an iud (so no period), but i would definitely try them otherwise.

Re: Sanitary Products

Maybe with this younger daughter go for the low hanging fruit and steer away from sanitary products for now. Things like unused or partially used school supplies, make up containers, hair products, etc. Just getting her 100% on board with recycling all that she can.My teen needs to use super+ throughout her period. Dr. recommended stopping it per anemia and it has been a little over 6 months but she is now thinking she's going to follow ObGyn's suggestions(!) so teens are sometimes resistant to new jdeas. A little, uh? If your kiddo needs it to be her own idea, you're just going to have to be patient. Focus elsewhere and hopefully she'll come around.